Trumpet Discussion Discuss using 2 embouchures? in the General forums; On a thread over at TH LeeC was talking about using 2 different embouchures. One for normal playing below G ...
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U

using 2 embouchures?

On a thread over at TH LeeC was talking about using 2 different embouchures. One for normal playing below G above high C, and one for playing in the extreme high range. I find this interesting. I am by no means a professional player. I am a weekend warrior. I don't play in that extreme range. I have a usable G. All the people I have studied with (Don Jacoby, Bob Ceccarini, Gordon Alt, Frank Campos...) have maintained that a trumpet player should strive to play on one embouchure throughout the range of the horn. Now some of these teachers were lead players, but I don't think they were actually people who played in that extreme range either.

Anyway, how many of you professional screamers out there use 2 different embouchure settings?
    "Music is a fire in your belly that has to come out of your mouth, so you'd better put a horn in the way before someone gets hurt"
    1949/50 Super Recording
    1949 Martin Committee
    1947 Olds Super
    Olds Super/Ultrasonic trumpet
    Olds Recording trumpet
    Olds Mendez
    Olds L-12
    Conn 40B
    Eclipse MR scratch gold
    Bach 37
    Scherzer Picc
    Buescher Mdl 15 Cornet in Bb/C/A (Dad's old horn)
    Boston 3 Star Ne Plus Ultra
    Natural trumpet hand made by my friend Howard Scudder

Chicago northern suburbs

I have a couple of slightly different sets...

Actually, I have a couple of slightly different sets. I also have a third slightly different set for extremely low double or triple pedal register stuff.

Check out Walt Johnson's book, "Double High C in Ten Minutes." He has what he calls his high gear embouchure.

For my part, my sets are very slightly different from each other, so it is reasonalby to slip from one to another on the fly.

FWIIW coming from me!!!

Thread Information