Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By BrassBandMajor
  • 4 Post By OldSchoolEuph
  • 1 Post By Dennis78
  • 1 Post By trickg
  • 4 Post By Peter McNeill
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Value of my horns in the General forums; What would be the value of each of these horns below? (I want to get a good estimate or value ...

Value of my horns

What would be the value of each of these horns below? (I want to get a good estimate or value in my head so in the future, I know that I am being fair)

IMG_1397.jpg
    Roy Benson 'Professional Rose-brass' Flugelhorn (Apparently a clone of a Yamaha and a flugelhorn player says that they play both the same but the Roy Benson is a much better value version of it, I have played it twice and it is in good condition. Bottom sprung valves in great condition, slides all free and trigger is operational. Bought for 500 US dollars four years ago.
    IMG_1395.jpg
    Some old Graslitz Rotary cornet (Playable with a Ritter gig bag and a 1 1/2C cornet mouthpiece) Only 1st slide stuck, no issues. Bought in unplayable condition three years ago for 250 US dollars
    IMG_1399.jpg
    Jinbao Rotary valve cornet (I never play it and is in good condition) All rotary valves lightning fast, good intonation and all slides free.
    Bought new three years ago for 280 US dollars.

I think it is time I let these go, they just never get played and I feel sorry for it. Plus, due to the fact our house is pretty small, storage is hard.
    Dennis78 likes this.
    Attention:
    Constant N+1 & N-1 in progress!

Vincent Bach Mt. Vernon Mercedes Trumpet
    B&S Challenger I 3137
    Couesnon 'Triebert Moderne' Monopole Piccolo
    Hermann Ganter G7aN
    Arno Windisch 'Silber-Deluxe'
    1959 Conn 28A 'Connstellation'

This message was created using 100% recycled electrons.

Re: Value of my horns

Well, you know there are more than a couple collectors out there with a few hundred horns, and I know one with 1200, so you are not doing too bad yet. . . . .

I think you know how this works. You go to EBay, build search strings that bring up similar horns to what you have, and then check the "sold listings" box to see what the market has been doing for the last 3 months. This is actually an excellent time to do this, because the window will catch both the January dip and the current, much more aggressive, market values.

The price you paid for the flugel is about the current market price new, and used pricing for the brand in general looks pretty depressing. If it works for you, the size of the resale loss may make it worth hanging onto.

The Graslitz cornet is interesting from a collector point of view. It looks like it would be from further North. Rotaries like that are all over the place - its a matter of finding the right buyer and you can break even - if you could document its unique construction, then the price could go up.

Jinbao. hmmmm. yeah, another case of unlikely to sell for half of new price. (in my opinion)
    Trumpet: 1961 Mt. Vernon Bach 43, 2000 Xeno 8335RGS, 1927 Conn 22B NYS
    Euphonium: 1965 Besson baritone, 1975 Yamaha YEP-321, 1985 YEP-621
    Trombone: 1975 Olds Recording R-20
    MP: Schilke 17d4d & 53

www.trumpet-history.com

Not to worry BBM! I too bought a few to many horns of little value. Mainly I bought what I bought because of the price points. I still struggle with the urge to buy horns that would probably not be up to par! Best thing to do is give them away to the local elementary schools. A recent want/need for a pro model SC cornet led me to a beautiful Berkeley Winds "pro" cornet! Thankfully I completely researched the brand and I'm not going to make that mistake. All of what you have pictured probably ain't worth much second hand-you bought them at their value price
    J. Jericho likes this.
    The Cincinnati Brassband
    The Westside Community Band
    The Swinging Saints

Probably next to nothing...
    Bb - 2013 Bill Pfund, 1970 Selmer Radial
    C - 2012 Bach 229/25H
    Picc - B&S Scherzer 8111
    Cornet - Getzen Eterna Bb
    Mouthpieces: Copy of Bach Mt. Vernon 2C w/24 throat, 24 backbore; Pickett 8B top #1/27 bottom; Parduba #5

I guess it depends on why you want to sell them and how long you are willing to wait to get top dollar. That flugel is basically the same thing as the ACB Doubler, and it's the kind of horn that's not going to have much resale value - you could probably get $300 USD for it, but I wouldn't plan on getting much more. Even if I get another flugel, I'll probably either hang on to it as a backup, or I'll sell it to some aspiring HS kid who wants/needs one. I'm curious why you want to sell it. You bought it 4 years ago and have only played it twice? Why is that? Do you have another, better flugel?
    True Tone likes this.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

None of them are worth more than $200. And probably quite a bit less. Sorry.
    Lots of old horns...some Bachs, Some conns, A Getzen or two...
    The music is in the player, not the horn. Find the sound in yourself first.

Mezzo Forte User

I meant to speak on this topic before but I always thought it would sound like I am lecturing but I just want to suggest a strategy that could make sense of collecting.

I think you have a good and varied collection but many of the instruments are pretty low value in themselves. I believe that a group of almost worthless instruments become valuable as a group if they say something about the instruments or the maker and then they represent a collective historical interest. For example, A group of various Heckel rotaries that show a timeline of development is of historical value because it is a group showing a piece of history with a beginning a middle and an end. It tells a developmental story.

What I am saying is, if you can collectively group your instruments into common makers or an important instrument development or point in time maybe by country of origin, then you might have a collection of historic interest that becomes more valuable in its own right.

Then you could dispose of those instruments that dont fit the collection, and you might find that you need an extra instrument or two to complete what then becomes a significant collection.
    We are bounded only by the limitations we place upon ourselves.

Boosey and Hawkes Regent Cornet 1977
    Conn 80A Cornet May 1952
    Boosey and Hawkes Emperor Trumpet September 1955
    Selmer Student Trumpet September 1943
    Comet Pea shooter Trumpet Bohland-Fuchs stencil around 1920

Fortissimo User

Two things to keep in mind, what an instrument is worth is what someone is prepared to pay and shipping from New Zealand to the rest of the world can be a good proportion of the price paid.

I will not buy an instrument where the shipping cost exceeds 20% of the total price. $50-100 from USA to Australia.

Regards, Stuart.

I think it is just a learning curve - you need to try these instruments to have an opinion on them. As your skills develop then the inadequacies of an instrument become more apparent. So then you no longer want to play them, and have moved on in your appreciation for the sound you are creating.

This is normal, but New Zealand will be a difficult place to move these instruments. Maybe try to advertise them locally, through some Music stores in NZ, or even at school. Whenever you play them, talk about the things that make them special, not the inadequacies. Then someone else in the learning curve may want to pick them up. I don't think that this is the forum to move them.

BTW - for BBM I think it has not been a waste, this is part of your own self development. Your experiences are yours, and so your opinion becomes more valuable. - at a cost.
    Peter

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

Thread Information