Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Valve bodies on trumpets/cornets in the General forums; Originally Posted by hawksao Oh ye nattering nabobs of negativism! This is not a disaster waiting to happen, it's an ...

Re: Valve bodies on trumpets/cornets

Quote Originally Posted by hawksao View Post
    Oh ye nattering nabobs of negativism! This is not a disaster waiting to happen, it's an unexplored opportunity.

I will admit the whole issue of bracing is confusing to me. I see Monette trumpets with "sheet" braces on the tuning slide and crook of the bell. I see trumpets with any variety of post braces between the valve body and leadpipe, or the valve body and bell. Have you seen the almost continuous brace between the leadpipe, valve body, and bell of the Monette Elysian trumpet? I don't understand how that thing can resonate at all.

It seems people tend to be critical of a horn if it doesn't have the tonal qualities they like. Eric Miyashiro would sound better on a plastic bugle than I would on his horn, but that's no reflection on his horn.

What I make might not sound like an authentic Committee, but I bet I could come up with something I like...or at least build a pretty piece of junk and lie about it!
    I guess the question is what is the point. If a REAL Committee cornet is available for cheap, why destroy it. Restore it and enjoy the unique vintage sound character of the original. The chance of it being a real player is VERY good.

If you want to build a trumpet for cheap and have some ideas, don't destroy a piece of history, use horns that are available in abundance like Bachs, Olds, Getzen.

The braces control resonance. For MOST bell designs this involves critically placing them. This is due to the bell being tempered (hardened) and having a life of its own when not damped. Moving the brace changes the sound, projection and intonation. More on the life of a bell can be found here: . I don't know if you can read German, but pictures tell a thousand words and what is applicable here starts on page 42.

Dave Monettes sheet bracing is actually for a different type of construction. His bells on those horns are not tempered, they are annealed and very soft. They have a much different resonance pattern and therefore much different bracing requirements. The idea is to project as much sound as possible forward to the audience. Some players have trouble with designs like this because they feel a need for more "feedback". That means inefficiency as not all of the soundwaves are projected out of the bell, rather through resonance of the bell material, reflected back to the player.

The braces on a trumpet are also part of a feedback loop, transferring vibrations back to specific locations early in the progression of the horn. This affects how well the horn "feels" and "responds".

My suggestion for players wanting to experiment, would be to take a standard, easy to get horn and to first convert it to a tuning bell version. You then have a possibility to try different bells very easily. A front brace can be simulated with a sound post. They you can mess with leadpipes and bracing.

Here is some info on "frankentrumpets" and tuning bells:
    Tunable Bell Trumpets
    SPADA MUSIC AG - Tonangebend im Trompetenbau
    Bell and slide options
    Cornet Connection
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Woodlawn, VA

However, if you bought a sound Committee cornet and tore it to pieces, that would simply be a shame.
    Sooner or later someone always gets to the crux of the matter. You are going to cannibalize a very fine horn? That bothers me on a deep level.

Now,,, the spirit of adventure obviouslty resides in you. Promise me you will be patient and take parts form a "wall hanger" with a crumpled bell (Cheaper, by the way,,,) and not dissect a perfectly good trumpet.

I personally play a frankenhorn that I bought from my tech guy. I was having a Schilke worked on, and it was hanging in the shop. It was a 1954 Olds Super valve cluster and body. Somebody had run over the bell, so he put a Bach Strad 43 bell on it and brought it upi Herriot style. He added slide adjustments and scrounged braces. It was a hobby. I asked to play it and promptly bought it. It remains my primary instrument. It was a lucky accident. BUT no innocent working horns were damaged or cannabalized in the creation of it.

By the way, did you know that cannibals won't eat clowns?
    They say they taste "funny"

Seattle, WA

If you want to try out your theory, this might be the horn for you to try it on:

Martin Committee model cornet for parts or repair - eBay (item 110396664863 end time Jun-04-09 04:59:03 PDT)

You can rip out the dead lead pipe and save the bell, and turn the rest into a trumpet. It's an especially good prospect since it apparently has no serial number, which means it has very little provenance as an original collector item. It will probably go for a relatively low price for that reason too. Go for it

1953 Mt. Vernon Strad 37 Cornet
    1966 Burbank Benge Eb/D
    1975 LA Benge 3x+
    1976 Strad 37*
    1978 LA Benge C
    1980 LA Benge 3x

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information