Trumpet Discussion Discuss Valve Gaurd in the General forums; I'm looking for a valve guard for my Bach 37. On ebay, they have a reunion blues valve guard for ...
    New Friend

Valve Gaurd

I'm looking for a valve guard for my Bach 37. On ebay, they have a reunion blues valve guard for $21.95 and free s&h. What are the quality of the reunion blues valve guards, and are they worth spending 20 dollars?

Melbourne Australia

Re: Valve Gaurd

I wipe my horn down before and after every time I play. When it goes in the case it is the last thing I do. If you are in a marching band scenario then you may wear gloves anyway.

I have valve guards on 2 of the Bachs that are well worn. I still clean then regularly but these are already down to brass in areas.

My horns that I have had myself from new have never needed the guard. I find that there gets a build up under the guards anyways, so I just clean them with a soft cloth.

BTW if you really need one due to the fact that you know your body sweat is going to corrode the silver-plate then 20 dollars is a cheap investment. Normally I do not use them.

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

San Pedro

You can also put a light coat of wax on the horn , after you clean the horn of course. Just find something very light like Maguire's Detailer so you don't get white chunks in the hard to reach spots. The Maguire's comes in a spray bottle.
    If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

New Friend

But with the valve guard, can you put them in the washer to get all of the oils out.

Ithaca NY

Most valve guards are a composite of leather and/or rubber-like material and fabric. They don't fare well in the washing machine.

I have a clear plastic valve guard which came with a Conn 12B trumpet. It just snaps into place and can be removed easily. I don't know it they are still made.
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

New Friend

Do they scratch the trumpet?

If/when grit gets between the horn and the guard, just think sandpaper against your finish. I would use a glove (I do) or a hanky type protection device. Is it worth $20? IMO no. I have purchased several horns that had a valve guard in place to "protect" the finish. The only problem is that they have to be removed to clean the horn and the worst areas on the horn are the areas that were "protected". The only other useless device is the crud collector on the bottom valve caps. Money would be better spent on something musical.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

South Salem, NY

Here is a blog I wrote on this subject in march last year:
    A trumpet is designed to be played with normal equipment, i.e. mouthpiece, lips and hands. Every change to that setup alters the way the horn plays. It is not going to respond the same with a valve guard as without. The valve guard deadens the whole valve cluster, which is essentially the "heart" of the instrument.

A valve guard soaks up the acid perspiration and then, by releasing it slowly, allows it to attack the finish 24/7. If, instead of using a valve guard, you wipe the horn down after you have finished playing, the chemicals are no longer present to attack the finish.

Many valve guards are quite stiff and will rub away at the finish wearing it off.

For those who feel that the valve guard affecting the playing is an exaggeration, here is an extract from an interview with Bob Malone, of Yamaha, published in The Brass Herald, January 2010:

I have to mention another important player with whom I experienced an “Ah Hah” moment earlier and that is Boyde Hood, who plays in the Los Angeles Philharmonic and teaches at my Alma Mater, USC. Boyde was in my shop in West Los Angeles one day and, as he is prone to do, was trying anything not tied down. He was playing his C trumpet when I turned my back and heard a completely different sound coming from him. I asked what trumpet he had picked up and he said that it was the same one but he had plugged in a different 3rd valve slide. The only difference between the two slides was that one had a waterkey and the other did not. The difference between the two sounds though was as great as if he had been playing two different trumpets. This was one of my first lessons that led to an increasing understanding of what role little things can have on the whole instrument.

Using a valve guard on a well designed trumpet is akin to buying a superbly sculpted Porsche or Ferrari and covering over all the front bodywork just in case it gets scratched.
    Ivan Hunter
    Performance and Tuition - Design, Modification and Repair
    Jaeger Trumpets, Cornets and Mouthpieces

Please do not attempt any repairs unless you have appropriate technical proficiency

Program facilitator for
    Bringing Music back into the Home

Kalamazoo, Michigan

I have used neotech rubber ones held on by velcro on several trumpets for years and have not noticed any damages. They are very comfortable to hold, having a bit of "give". Very durable.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

Thread Information