Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss In a valve quandry. in the General forums; There is a basic solution to this issue that no one has really talked about - some people have talked ...

Re: In a valve quandry.

There is a basic solution to this issue that no one has really talked about - some people have talked about cleaning, but no one has really said how to do it yet.

This is what I have done in the past - and keep in mind that valves tend to be pretty tight during the break in process - is that several times during the first month or so, I'll take a valve brush, a cleaning rod, and a fair amount of good, clean cheese cloth, and I'll clean the valves out. First things first, scrub them out with the valve brush, but then swab them out with the cheese cloth and cleaning rod, and clean the valves off as well. You'll notice a fair amount of black that comes off and onto the cloth - that's probably buffing compound and other grime left from the manufacturing process.

A former band director of mine showed me about doing that with new horns and it always helps during the break-in process, and it helps to eliminate that issue. I had it with my Kanstul flugel when I bought it too - after a few times doing that, I had no more issues.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Dothan, Alabama

Re: In a valve quandry.

As asinine as this may sound, pistion valves in a trumpet are not entirely unlike the the drive and valve pistons of a steam locomotive, which required re-oiling and lubing at every stop. The later (and better) designs included oil injectors to lubricate the pistons in the presence of 600 degree F steam, and even newer designs included centralized lubrication to the rods and cranks. My point: Has any design ever been considered to include an oil cup of some sort, such as a small reservoir in each top valve cap, to provide constant lubrication and cleaning to valves, or is this concept entirely bogus and unneccessary?

1913 Conn Circus Bore Cornet
    Early 1970s Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
    1972 Olds Pinto Bb Trumpet (Weird Horn!)
    1969 Conn 38B Connstellation Bb Trumpet

I was playing once and afterwards, a little boy approached me and stated that he played the trumpet. I asked, "Do you play like I do?" and he replied, "I used to."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information