Trumpet Discussion Discuss Valve Stroke in the General forums; Much ado is made in some circles about valve stroke and how "fast" the valves are. OK, let's get out ...
    Fortissimo User

Valve Stroke

Much ado is made in some circles about valve stroke and how "fast" the valves are. OK, let's get out the yardsticks and create a set of "real world" measurements. I don't have any physical confirmation but it's said by one maker that Bach valves stroke at 16.12 mm while "his" are only 16.00 mm. (in all fairness there are other features with "his" valves that might indeed be an improvement). Perhaps one of the Bach owners could post some numbers, specifying please if it's a NY, Mt. Vernon or Elkhart horn.

OK, my Getzen Eterna cornet measures at 16.00 mm. The Schilke B1 comes in at only 15 mm while the Eclipse (with Bauerfine valves... how DO you spell "Bauerfine" anyway?) is "only" 14.5 mm.

Anybody want to post some numbers for different makes? I can tell you that the Eclipse and the B1 feel virtually identical while the Getzen DOES seem a little longer.

Anyway, how do YOUR valves "measure up"? I'll bet there are some surprises in store! Please use millimeters (I used a steel machinist's rule marked in mm) for commonality and to avoid "errors in conversion". Closest 0.5 mm is about all you can expect "by the eyeball". Of course, if you have and can use a dial indicator please feel free!

"Inquiring minds want to know".

Piano User
    Between which two points on the valve do we measure? Sorry if it seems like a dumb question, I'm not too familiar with the term "valve stroke."

Fortissimo User
    I rested the steel rule on top of the upper valve cap and measured the length of the valve to a point on the valve cap (say the top of the MOP insert, or the upper "point" on a Schilke hexagon). Then depress the valve all the way and take a second measurement. The "stroke" of the valve is the difference between the two measurements.

ie... how far does the valve move from "top" to "bottom"?

Thread Information