Trumpet Discussion Discuss Valves will not come clean. in the General forums; Hello Trumpet Masters, I have a newer Olds from the last 10 years that I purchased used from a shop ...
    Los Angeles, CA

Valves will not come clean.

Hello Trumpet Masters,
    I have a newer Olds from the last 10 years that I purchased used from a shop in Santa Monica a few months ago. It was used for rentals. I didn't know anything about trumpets and was told that I just needed to oil the valves. I showed a friend and he told me they were filthy and we tried, warm soapy water, cleaner and nail polish remover and cannot get the black off the bottom of the valves. The compression on the horn is good and pops when I take off a slide. Any suggestions?

Thank You,
    -Big Daddy

Ithaca NY

Re: Valves will not come clean.

By bottom, if you mean the area opposite the valve stem, don't worry too much. If you mean the piston surface under the ports, try a soak for an hour in an inch of rubbing alcohol - deep enough to cover the dirty part. If the inside if the cylinders is also dirty there, a toothbrush with a wee bit of baking soda and water in a paste used to scrub only that bottom area should work.

Late model Olds are not made by either the same company or to the same quality as the ones from earlier which are famous. It is possible a rental horn of that ilk is worn from poor lubrication and care during rental use and may not be salvageable. If it doesn't clean up so oil will make it useable, you should return it.

Re: Valves will not come clean.

If the valve action is good, the surface is clean but tarnished and normal non-invasive methods don't remove the oxidation, don't worry about it. Believe me, it will wear off in time..........................
    Synthetics have been my answer to tarnished valves. Since switching to LaTromba T2 in 1997, all of those issues have disappeared. Some of my buddies using UltraPure have similar results.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information