Trumpet Discussion Discuss Variable mouthpiece in the General forums; Not sure what the proper term for them is but the ones that have various screw in cups so you ...
    New Friend

Variable mouthpiece

Not sure what the proper term for them is but the ones that have various screw in cups so you can have 4 or so mouthpieces in one.

I know from what I've read here nobody thinks much of them but I wonder why? What is it about them that wouldn't work? Why are they inferior to separate mouthpieces?

Just curious.

Re: Variable mouthpiece

The problem with a variable cup is that you generally have no time on stage to switch.

My take is that to balance a mouthpiece acoustically, every cup has its own "optimum" throat and backbore. Change one thing and everything else needs modification. Granted, the human body is infinitely flexible and MAYBE we have enough leeway so that we can get away with more than we think.

Nope, I like the idea of having as little as possible to mess with. Every variable can bite us where the sun don't shine. Having the possibility to think about changing cup depth for the next note takes my attention off of the musical process.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Dayton, Ohio

The trumpet player sharing lead with me in our big band uses this mouthpiece, and between each song, he is switching cup sizes. They do screw on fast and he is always ready for the downbeat of the next tune, but I really do not hear the difference in his playing, albeit he is sitting just to my side. Interestingly, he was able to pick up the difference in my sound at our last rehearsal, as I read the second trumpet book while he took the lead book as our second trumpet player was out. I replaced my Jettone with my Callet mouthpiece and he noticed a marked difference in my sound. With this change however, there IS a marked difference in both the cups AND the backbore.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

Levittown , NY

Players who play different types of music and need different tone qualities such as darker or brighter can keep their same rim and only change cup depth. So instead of going on safaris searching for something close or similar ,you always have your exact same rim.

Greensboro, NC

In 1985 I had Scott Laskey at Schilke Make me a custom rim. I had him make three of them as a screw on rim. I have different underparts with various cups and backbores. I keep the same throat on every trumpet underpart. I did this so I would be playing on the exact same rim all the time. If I needed more than one mpc on a gig, I could have 3 ready to go. I do tend to stay on the same set up through out most gigs. I'll use the same mpc on Bb, C, D Eb. I switch underparts if the music calls for it. Of course I always use a completely smaller mpc for picc. I find that playing on th exact same rim really helps with my consistancy.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

Banned Mezzo Piano User

I carry at least three mouthpieces with me to use on a gig. usually more.

3 for the trumpet. Shallow, shallower still, and "bent dime".

2 - 3 for the cornet. From extra deep, medium to shallow.

On flugelhorn I will use the medium and deep cornet pieces. In fact the deep cornet piece is actually a flugel piece itself. The cornet shank and flugel are close. Not perfectly interchangeable but close enough.

I keep a 4 inch by 22 inch by 5/8ths inch piece of hardwood plywood mounted to my music stand. The plywood has six 3/8ths an inch holes bored through. Each about an inch and a 1/2 apart. In these I set up to six mouthpieces. Also a good place to stash a mute when in a hurry. The wood has am eight of an inch slit down one long side. The cut goes about an inch and a 1/2 deep. Slides right onto the stand that way. No fuss, no muss. makes the stand hold thicker books. A handy devil!

With both a cornet and a trumpet ready at least one of them will have an acceptable mouthpiece for any condition.

Also keep a cornet to trumpet adapter handy. In case i feel like putting one of the larger cornet pieces in my trumpet.

It's a good idea to mark your mouthpieces with some kind of color coded tape. Otherwise disaster can loom. I forgot to do this and accidentally brought a very shallow cornet piece to church for my flugelhorn. It "worked" but that was about it. Scared the hell out of me when i put it up to my lips.
    Last edited by Local 357; 01-15-2012 at 06:24 PM.

Thread Information