Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss The variables of motivation in the General forums; I no longer perform, and never did teach, so I rely on "internal" motivation to keep practicing. I might not ...
    Piano User
    I no longer perform, and never did teach, so I rely on "internal" motivation to keep practicing. I might not practice as much as a professional, but I practice enough to maintain skills.

I have been playing trumpet for over 40 years. Some of the best times of my life and my best and fondest memories have something one way or another to do with music and/or the trumpet. So, a big motivator for me is nostalgia. I want to keep my ability to play the horn in reasonable condition so that I can continue to do something I have done, and derived much pleasure from doing for many, many years. I don't want to let go of it and see it become relegated totally to history, so to speak.

And, I simply enjoy is more or less and hobby for me now, and I am motivated by personal enjoyment.

Forte User
    Northern New York
    Billy- I notice a change in my teaching, too; the way I interact with the kids feels a little different when I have my momentum going. My musical direction feels at a higher level, as well; like I'm demanding more (not in an unfair or over the top manner, but just being more musical). Makes sense, I guess.

Dave, you seem to be a the highest level of motivation...purely intrinsic.
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information