Trumpet Discussion Discuss venturi effect in the General forums; I am wondering purely threoretically, but does the lips moving have anything to do with creating vibrations? Is it possible ...
    Mezzo Forte User

venturi effect

I am wondering purely threoretically, but does the lips moving have anything to do with creating vibrations?

Is it possible for the venturi effect to create vibrations in a trumpet if say lips were inflexible?

I know in flutes that is possible, but for trumpets. Another way of putting it would be are the lips flapping just a side effect of the compressions in the air waves, that are actually creating the sound, and the deformation of the lips dampening the sound that is produced by the venturi.

I may be way off track here, but it seems plausible to me.

Pianissimo User
    Bay Area, Northern Calif.

Re: venturi effect

i'm just guessing but the sound comes from the tiny area of lip at the front of the embouchurre. being vibrated by the air. the tighter the lip tension, the higher the note. like a guitar string. Just my guess, not sure if i answered your question :) i'm sure someone knowledgeable will chime in
    Kanstul Powerbore soprano bugle

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Our lips get the air column moving with the initial "buzz," but then the air column keeps our lips buzzing.

Weird stuff.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Playing sets up a standing wave in any wind instrument - including the flute. Standing Waves. Without this, you would not have "slots".

The standing wave starts with the fundemental which is one wavelength over the length of the horn and then goes to 2 wavelengths (doubling the frequency - an octave higher), then 3 (the fifth), 4 (next octave), 5 (the third), 6 (an octave higher fifth), 7 (the 7th) and 8 the next octave which corresponds to our high C.

In the case of the flute and the trumpet, the standing wave in the instrument also controls the lip vibration, not the other way around. We exert energy to get the instrument to resonate at different frequencies. This is the mechanism that helps us play in tune. There is no way that we could control our lip motion to individully tune notes when playing quickly for instance. That definition comes from the instruments effect on what frequency is tuned (by the valves or keys).
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information