Trumpet Discussion Discuss Venue- Small Room in the General forums; I took the wife to a place in Atlanta last night to check it out. They basically let any local ...

Venue- Small Room

I took the wife to a place in Atlanta last night to check it out. They basically let any local musician play. Last night was an perfect example of the fact that just because a persin plays guitar DOES NOT necessarily mean they can sing!

Anyway, I was checking them out to see if I could possibly play there some time, since I can't seem to get anybody around my town interested in doing anything outside of church.

It is a small room (max. occupancy is probably 30 or 40 people) and the acoustic are pretty bad. I am thinking of making a CD with my own midi files and some canned CD's.

For those of you that have played in such circumstances, here is the question:

Given the small size of the room, would you just try to play soft, or would you use a mute? If you would use a mute, what type of mute would you use? (I am thinking a harmon mute).

Dick Taylor
    Comeback Player
    Benge 65B

Mezzo Piano User

Re: Venue- Small Room

I've struggled with this situation, also.

I don't particularly care for mutes ... I will use one, if no other recourse. However, I have discovered (... duh ... ) Cornets will help a lot (instead of a Trumpet or Fluegelhorn).

I am fortunate in having a "companion" Cornet to my Trumpet. I generally play vintage Martin Committees. The Committee Cornet has an almost identical "blow" to the Committee Trumpet. As a bonus, I use the same series of mouthpieces for both horns. No adjustment issues.

Yogi Robt
    " ... Ya cain't polish a turd ...!" (old Southern expression)

~~ Love animals ... don't eat them. ~~

I have also struggled with the small room syndrome. I mostly play softly using a lightweight horn. The mute sound is useful at times, but steals too much of the sound quality. The audiences generally do not complain if loud is used to set short accents.
    The cornet idea is very good!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Georgia, USA

I'd be totally lost without my short cornet for exactly such situations as you mentioned!

My trumpet wouldn't even come out of the case, nor would the fluglehorn. Both are designed for producing more carrying power than a short cornet with a deep-v mouthpiece.

Plus, the sound is not as harsh and edgy as a trumpet, and the sound is much more conducive to people enjoying the music and fellowship as you play.

Here's a photo of mine. It's my favorite horn of any type, with a sound to die for! For jazz, I mate it with a Warburton BC cornet cup mouthpiece in my favorite size, plus a #10 short shank Warburton backbore.

Last edited by tom turner; 06-11-2007 at 10:04 PM. Reason: resize jpeg smaller

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

One possibility would be to use a flugelhorn mouthpiece. German flugelhorns use the same shank as a trumpet mouthpiece, and a Bruno Tilz 7C, for example, gives a wonderful warm sound on the trumpet, but refuses to play above a mf--one can wail away and still sound nice. They're fun to play on, but not at all loud, and worth a try.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Thread Information