Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Verifying a metal allergy in the General forums; Lips turning red is NOT necessarily a sign of an allergy. Mine turn red after 5 minutes of play too. ...

Re: Verifying a metal allergy

Lips turning red is NOT necessarily a sign of an allergy. Mine turn red after 5 minutes of play too. That is because of a light irritation (trumpet playing is not "natural") and blood flowing.

A bit of pain after a while is also not necessarily a sign of an allergy.

Excessive burning and swelling together are signs of an allergy.

Only your doc will know for sure.

I won't play on raw brass mouthpieces. The silver or gold plating must be intact too. No sense in taking a chance on anything. Once you start having chop problems, there is a psychological barrier for the rest of your life. It ain't worth it!

You can tape the mouthpiece to your arm overnight to see if there is a reaction. It may not be scientific, but you would be at least a step closer. You can also put the mouthpiece on your lips with little pressure for 30-60 minutes WITHOUT playing and see if there is a reaction (you can read a book or watch TV at the same time).

I would not invest in ANYTHING without knowing what is up. You have no money for a doc, but can afford another mouthpiece. Doesn't sound like a good plan to me.

If you have a "heavy" playing scedule, what you describe can be simply a sign of too little preparation/practice time to support that schedule.
    Last edited by rowuk; 08-06-2011 at 03:38 AM.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

Kelly mouthpieces are made of polycarbonate, Lexan brand and available direct from Http:// and are available in many colors in addition to crystal clear.

I like them at times, but not for everything. They are especially good in cold weather and for young students who will very often drop and damage a metal mouthpiece ... Lexan will not be damaged from such 90+% of the time. Some also prefer those made of Delrin brand by another manufacturer.

Got to see a doctor to know for sure. Even the "Docs" on this site would say the same.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information