Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Vibrato in the General forums; For those who don't know me, I've been playing trumpet for 8 years. I consider myself to be pretty adapt ...
    Pianissimo User

For those who don't know me, I've been playing trumpet for 8 years.
    I consider myself to be pretty adapt and versatile.
    Despite being admitted into several trumpet studios in my state, I decided to go into music education as a bassoonist.

Never the less, I still lust to become a better trumpetist and I regret not pursuing trumpet on a collegiate level.
    There are few trumpet issues that I have not been able to solve for myself. So why am I here?

I feel my vibrato is not being executed correctly. I am very used to woodwind vibrato but somehow it is not expressively enough for brass playing.
    I suppose my real question of help is "How should I be doing vibrato on trumpet?"

Huntsville, Texas

Re: Vibrato

Find one or several trumpet players that have, what you consider, great vibrato, and try to emulate it.

I personally don't like to use vibrato, but being in a studio, I don't get to choose what I do and don't like.
    "There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality: there is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury; then there's the dark side...." --Michael Stewart

Dayton, Ohio

As opposed to when the mouthpiece is placed inside the mouth as with woodwinds, to when lips are placed on the mouthpiece, dynamic differences to airflow are obvious. To get a vibrato, you will get many opinions as there are several ways you can make this tonal variation happen. I prefer just relaxing the tongue as much as possible to optimize airflow (lower resistance) and then let my embouchure control be vibrato by simple muscle action of tighten and relaxing lip muscle. Others will recommend moving the mouthpiece on the embouchure. This will work, but I believe risks producing trauma to the lips. Also with an open embouchure, by dropping the jaw (again relaxing) you can relax and tighten the jaw muscle as well.

I am also in the DaTrump camp, as I only like to use vibrato sparingly, when just the right amount of seasoning is needed for the phrase I am producing. I only use a heaping amount of vibrato when I play Dixieland as that is a dish best served spicy... etwa
    tobylou8, DaTrump and Juarez-MA like this.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

The "woodwind vibrato" starts from the source and results in a "billy-goat" sounding mess on the brass instruments. With the jaw, both intensity and speed are easily controlled. The hand vibrato, stolen from string players, is also in common use, although there exists a strong argument in that the vibrato will change depending on fingering. At times, to impart a "shimmer," the tongue is used, but most players use a jaw vibrato because that is the way most of us have puzzled it out.
    tobylou8 and bumblebee like this.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Great Southern Land

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgano Brother View Post
    ... but most players use a jaw vibrato because that is the way most of us have puzzled it out.
    That's what I do.

Mezzo Piano User
    San Rafael, CA

Is a chainsaw considered inspiration for vibrato?
    Juarez-MA likes this.
    Flip Oakes Wild Thing
    1938 Olds Super
    Wedge mouthpieces

I have a question.
    How often shoud the wevering of pitch in a vibrato be?
    Juarez-MA likes this.
    I like playing my instrument!
    Trumpets are great.

Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by keigoh View Post
    I have a question.
    How often shoud the wevering of pitch in a vibrato be?
    The speed and width of the vibrato is dictated by the style of music you are playing. A classical solo is going to have different vibrato than a jazz piece.

Pianissimo User

I should think the frequency and the width of the vibrato depends primarily on the style of music. A relaxed blues vibrato, a singing vibrato, and an intense bravura vibrato. Doc Severinsen's vibrato is decidedly different than, say , Maurice Andre's due largely to the style of music.

There is also room to put a personal stamp on the vibrato as Phil Smith's, Haken Hardenberger's, Wynton Marsalis's differ on pieces that they have all recorded (Intrada--Honeggar for example).

New Orleans

Miles didnt use vibrato because his mentor Charlie Parker maybe? said he would just get old and shake any way.
    Ed Lee and Juarez-MA like this.

Harrelson HT3 custom #1 bell #6 LP
    Harrelson Summit One Art #4 lp & #11RX bell (arriving soon)
    Harrelson modified 909 Flugel
    1947 Martin Committee #3
    1952 Olds Recording tpt (Los Angeles)
    1992 Bach Stradivarius 180sML 43
    Antoine Courtois 301 prestige C Tpt
    Antoine Courtois 311 ML prestige Tpt
    1969 Selmer Mark VI Tenor Sax
    1969 Selmer Mark VI Alto Sax
    Yamaha YSS62 Soprano Sax

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information