Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss which vintage trumpets should I look for? in the General forums; I just put a bunch of clips on YouTube that I performed on with my Conn 38B from 1957. I ...
    Boston, MA

Re: which vintage trumpets should I look for?

I just put a bunch of clips on YouTube that I performed on with my Conn 38B from 1957.

I also have a few selmers, Buescher True Tone from the early 20's, a Martin Troubadour from the 20's, and a King Liberty from 27 that all play REALLY (!!!!) well. I picked up the Liberty at a yard sale for 40 bucks, the Martin for 70 bucks on ebay and the Buescher last week for 160 on ebay. All are amazing values and killer horns.

Mezzo Piano User

Dale Procter,
    What is the horn pictured? What are the "Olds recording trumpets"?

Heart of Dixie

The horn pic I posted is my 1960 Conn 6B Victor trumpet. A lot like the Connstellation, but with a Coprion leadpipe and without the nickel plated bell. A very good-playing trumpet. An Olds Recording was at one time the top pro model trumpet Olds produced. They had many cool features, like red brass bells, offset 2nd valves, a forward-mounted "balanced" valve block, 3rd valve trigger, pearl inlaid slide pulls, etc. Very beautiful horns - in my opinion one of the best looking trumpets ever produced. And they play pretty well, too. Here's a link to an Olds site Olds Central: Information on trumpets and cornets by F. E Olds and Son 1928-1979
    Olde Towne Brass

Brass Band of Huntsville

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

New Friend
    Springfield, MO

The Olds trumpets are great horns, from the lowely ambassador on up. Even the pro Olds usually sell for less than $500. I would suggest going with 60's as they started going down hill in the 70's. I have found the Fullerton made Olds to be my favs. Getting parts for Olds can be difficult to impossible so that can be a problem.

Can't go wrong with a LA, Burbank, or Chicago Benge but will probably have to pay more than $500 for a good one. Plus kanstul has original benge tooling and the bonus of being owned by a former benge foreman meaning replacement parts are easily available. I just replaced the 3rd valve on a Burbank Benge with a kanstul replacement part and the ports aligned as good if not better than the original valve.

One of my favorite vintage horns right now are the 60's Getzen eterna Doc Severinson trumpets. Are made very well, awesome valves as you would expect from getzen, and they just play and sound great. Plus they share parts with some current production Getzen models which means replacement parts are easily available. Just replaced the leadpipe on a mid 60's model. I did have to shorten the top inner slide of the main tuning slide but this was no big deal.

New Friend

Perhaps you should look at the Reynolds line also. There're often some really cool contempora on Ebay. They have a bronze bell and are really sweat and fat. If you're luck, you can get one for $300-$400. Good luck~

By the way, visit for more info. It's a great site!

Edit: Oh, there's one on ebay now.
    Last edited by Zenith; 04-12-2007 at 06:29 AM.

Kalamazoo, Michigan

I am getting partial to old Bessons. I have a 55-60 8-10 trumpet that I got on ebay for $40 and it plays great, good tone , valves and response. They, or similar later 2-20's show up on Ebay often. A 10-10 with triggers would be the best, but the last one got too high for me at $256. I also have a 30's-40's heavy metal Gretsch probable long cornet that plays about as well, for $35.The other models mentioned int this thread are all good ideas.

Pianissimo User

How do those 20's-30's horns sound, the Troubadour etc? I'm considering one simply to add to my sonar possibilities

Forte User

eclispehornplayer - where have you been??? I have missed your posts - glad to see you back.
    formerly known as old geezer Dave
    Chicago Benge 33XX
    Blessing 1580 [ Powell modified ]
    Getzen 800s ml Cornet P02819
    Yam. 231 Fl. 15383
    King Master Cornet 295628
    assorted other horns

Pianissimo User

Are the 22b's professional instruments? Untill i read this thread and the Conn Loyalist blurb abouut them i thought they were student models.

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" - Sir Winston Churchill

"*We* are the music makers and *we* are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka

Piano User
    Jacksonville, FL

this is maybe not a "vintage horn" question, but it might fall along the same line.

Lets just say I had the opportunity to get a Mt Vernon Strad. Is a better horn than the Strads of today, and what should I pay for it?
    Jason I Boddie
    Sterling Brass Trumpet I
    Yamaha 6310 zs
    Warburton 4md Lexan cup, series 80 KT backbore

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information