Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Virtuoso in the General forums; What does it take to become a virtuoso? Are there any trumpet virtuosos on TM? If I made an embouchure ...
    Pianissimo User

Virtuoso

What does it take to become a virtuoso? Are there any trumpet virtuosos on TM? If I made an embouchure change at the age of 16, could I still become one? Post anything virtuoso related if you like.
    Hooray for Trumpet Players Everywhere!

Piano User

Re: Virtuoso

A virtuoso is someone that has complete and utter control of the instrument they play, it does exactly what they want, to the finest detail. Someone like Alison Balsom (played in the last night of the proms), is virtuous.

You could become one, you most likely won't, most people that go on to be virtuous are grade 8 at the age of 10, or around there.

So, unless you happen to be playing first chair in the state concert orchestra (or whatever is top level in America), it is unlikely.

Becoming a virtuoso has absolutely nothing to do with embouchure changes.

Practice is the short answer of your question.

Others can give you the long answer.
    If you can not stand up as a good role model, please sit down!

nordlandstrompet

BrassNor

Taylor
    Chicago Lite
    Chicago Custom X-Lead
    Custom Gansch Style
    Phat Boy
    CarolBrass
    CCR-9990-RSM-SLB
    CCR-6882T-PSM
    CPT-3000-GSS
    CTP-3330-YLS

Age or changing embouchure's have nothing to do with becoming a virtuoso , some players peak early ,some are late bloomers , hard work, dedication, study, and hours and hours of practice every day will at least get you started on right road.

Forte User

The word "virtuoso" automatically makes me think of athletes and stunts!
    If you play The Carneval quickly and well enough, someone is bound to
    call you a Virtuoso!

However, the technical skills that it takes to play most of the pieces we
    hear, like and want to play can through hard work and good guidance be
    achieved by many of us. What we should ask for is not to become "virtuosos" but

1) to get the skills it takes to play the music we love

2) to get the musical maturity it takes to not rely on our skills,
    but to REALLY make MUSIC! This is the ONLY way weŽll ever
    have something to offer our audience!

DonŽt focus on the wrong things!
    Focus on what you like to hear and
    play, and how to make music of it!

Fortissimo User

If you read the thread related to comeback players, you will find additional discussion about the difference between a reeeally good player and a virtuoso. It is the difference between Michael Phelps and whoever came in second in the Olympic swimming competition. (anybody know?)
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

In my opinion virtuosos are born not made. Getting really good on the trumpet does not make you a virtuoso. There is a whole level of artistry far beyond technique and sound.

An embouchure change could very well destroy what is left of your current playing.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

I agree 100% with Rowuk. Virtuosos are born with something extra.
    One of the greatest virtuosos ever, Maurice Andre' said the following on his website.
    "My own success is the result of 60% work and 40% gift. Even if you work harder than anyone and correctly, it will be useless unless you are not gifted".
    There are other quotes and information at his website. Maurice Andre, une vie pour la trompette - Maurice Andre, a life for the trumpet
    We are talking true, world class virtuosos here, not good to excellent players who can handle the horn in virtually any situation.
    Yes, there are at the very least two virtuosos here. In my opinion Ed Carroll and Wilmer Wise are true virtuosos and each have their own forums. I'm sure there are more here as well who do post and there are those who lurk.
    Rich T

New Friend

Well, I don't personally think it's very healthy to think about things like talent. Sure, some people have it, but why let something out of your control affect how far you take the trumpet?

Claude Gordon said something about talent that was very telling for me...I'm not sure what the exact quote was, but it went something like "trumpet playing is only 10% talent and 90% hard work. you may ask if you have enough talent to become a trumpet player, and the answer is that if you have the motivation and work ethic to work hard, you have the talent!"

of course, claude gordon put it in much better words than i can recall.

Either way, I try not to overthink what I have. rather i try to focus on where I'm going and how I'm going to get there.

Mezzo Piano User

To me, a virtuoso would be someone who has complete physical control of the trumpet. One in a very small few trumpet players are virtuoso's. A greater question might be, 'do you have to be a virtuoso to be a great musician?'

My answer to that would be, no. In fact, one can be a virtuoso and not a great musician on the other hand. That one might be hard to figure out, but it's true.
    Vintage Trumpets
    T
    he Easier, More efficient way to Find Used Trumpets.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information