Trumpet Discussion Discuss Vizzutti meets Arban... in the General forums; Hi Manny, I posted this on your forum because I would like your opinion on what I am about to ...
    Mezzo Piano User

Vizzutti meets Arban...

Hi Manny, I posted this on your forum because I would like your opinion on what I am about to post. I have been playing along with the Vizzutti meets Arban cd and song book of course not even close as him but close enough to have fun with it...and continue my practicing... oh by the way Brigitte had her first playing test in school the other day and she feels really good about her playing (40 possible points.) I will let you know how she did. Ok back to Vizzutti, I am listening to this track called Do you see the Gittering Snow? and Allen is unbelieveable and a beautiful player...but it sounds mechanical with no feeling...almost like yhea I can do it but I am not going to put my heart and soul into it...almost like he is so good it is artificial. When we came over to your place and heard you play I heard feeling, dedication, and love for what you do.....nothing against Vizzutti (dont even mention him and me in the same sentence) but listening to you (live of course) and Vizzutti (recorded) you hit a nerve with your playing. Why is that...is it because I have seen and heard you play up close and personal? or because I have never seen Vizzutti up close and personal. oh by the way Merry Christmas and all the best to you and your Family.
    Bach Strad 180S37
    Monette B2

Well, if I could play like Wynton (Marsalis), I wouldn't play like Wynton.
    Chet Baker

vizzutti

Hello,

I dont post often here but I do however under the same name at trumpetherald. I could not help but notice your post. I use to feel the same way in regards to Allen. That was until I saw him and played for him in a Master Class about seven years ago. He really "sings" through his horn in person. He is an amazing musician and a very down to earth guy. But I do see where you could believe the way that you do, but once you hear him live it will really change your perception.

Fortissimo User
    I'll go with WV on this one. Allen is an amazing player, a very humble and down-to-earth guy. I've listened in on one of his workshops wherein he described how he taught his son to play trumpet. That was 8 years ago before I even picked up a trumpet but even then he struck me as being someone who was "the real deal". He might have a different sound from Manny... which is to be expected since he isn't primarily an orchestral player. That doesn't mean he is any less of a musician however. Give him a chance; there are lots of trumpet players out there a whole lot less deserving of your attention!

(Yeah, listen to Manny too... if he has "the sound in your head" then you'll need to keep on hearing it.)

Mezzo Piano User
    Thanks Toots and WV that is what I figured as far as listening to him more and not hearing him play live. Merry Christmas guys!!!
    Bach Strad 180S37
    Monette B2

Chet Baker

Forte User
    Yeah Phatmon, I was going to chime in on that too. Rapier told me long ago to listen to as much live performance as possible and not to listen to recordings so much. (this includes the many live performances broadcast on Public Radio) You have discovered why that is good advice. There is an emotional element and energy in experiencing a live performance (even if it is in Manny's living room) that is rarely matched when listening to a recording. That is not taking away the fact that you can be a big fan of someone's playing only from hearing recordings. It just might take a bit longer to feel connected to the player and the music this way. Give Vizzutti more time, I think your affection for his playing will grow.

Forte User
    I have yet to hear Manny live (a combination of bad timing, bad placement and a last minute gig when he was last over here), but I have had the pleasure of hearing Allen VIzzutti live a few times - however "technical" it might sound on the CDs, when he plays that stuff live there is a serious passion and musicality behind every note.
    Yes, he is an incredible showman, but he is also one heck of a musician.

A really nice guy too.

I am sure that when I, finally, get to meet/hear Manny there will be the same sense of musical energy behind every note. (Just checking, Manny - are you in the UK at all next year?)

They play differently, but there is no denying the musicality that is present in both of them.

Pianissimo User
    I studied with Allen at the University of Washington, and I can honestly say that he is an absolutely amazing player, teacher, and person. The Vizzutti meets Arban CD that you have is him playing method book stuff... listen to his recordings where he is playing things that he is into, like his own compositions, or Jeff Tyzik's. He is really one of the most expressive and lyrical trumpet players I have ever heard. Also, he is a riot to see live, very funny...

V/R
    Joshua Sullins
    trumpet: Flip Oaked Wind Thing in gold plate, #1 Tuning Slide

piece: Monette PRANA BL3

Flugel: Yamaha 631, Rose brass bell (I really want a Flip Oakes Flugel... putting together the cash)

Pianissimo User
    If any of you are in the area (Phatmon?), Vizzutti will be in Bemidji on March 4th to play with a jazz quartet, do a clinic, and judge the Northlands Trumpet Competition (for HS students). Let me know if you'd like more information.

Del Lyren

Mezzo Piano User
    trmptr yhea for sure pm me some info.....I am interested.....thanks for the heads up.
    Bach Strad 180S37
    Monette B2

Chet Baker

Thread Information