Trumpet Discussion Discuss vocabulary in the General forums; het folks been reading some on line what do folks mean when talking about slotting ie this horn slots well...
    New Friend

vocabulary

het folks been reading some on line what do folks mean when talking about slotting ie this horn slots well

Re: vocabulary

It means that it readily centers on the pitch. This would seem to be a good thing, but if you are a jazz player you might actually want to be able to bend those notes out of pitch and a horn that slots very tightly will not be able to do that without slurring into the next partial.
    2006 Yamaha Xeno 8335RGS
    1987 Conn 100B "Doc Severinsen"
    1946 Conn 22B "New York Symphony"
    1927 Conn 6A

New Friend

thanks that is what i thought

slotting is simply another term for efficiency. The horn "resonates" very well. This does not mean that it is hard to "bend" the notes. It means that the player feels secure and doesn't have to invest as much energy in trying to play in tune.

I feel that most players that talk about this really have no idea what it does to their playing. An efficient instrument puts more of its design stamp on the players sound. Great players make this work for them. Weak players fantasize that this will help them achieve something with less practice time invested. They may be better in tune, but the lack of practice time shows itself in the quality of sound and articulation!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    slotting is simply another term for efficiency. The horn "resonates" very well. This does not mean that it is hard to "bend" the notes. It means that the player feels secure and doesn't have to invest as much energy in trying to play in tune.

I feel that most players that talk about this really have no idea what it does to their playing. An efficient instrument puts more of its design stamp on the players sound. Great players make this work for them. Weak players fantasize that this will help them achieve something with less practice time invested. They may be better in tune, but the lack of practice time shows itself in the quality of sound and articulation!
    Hm: Would you say French horns a mellophones "slot well?" I've always associated the ease with which you can "slide around," or the ease with which you can "miss" for that matter were because they don't slot as well as say a trumpet. Granted it makes some things easier, but others harder - and yes, that could be and probably is a function of the player's current ability/how much work he's put in, but nonetheless, they seem to "move more easily."

As an experiment, I might pull out my Olds Ambassador and see how my flexibility compares to my Benge doing some lip trills. It could be that once you've got something working sufficiently well it won't make any difference whatever, but I was thinking that it might have been more difficult to do lip trills on my Olds when I first started working them again - but I never tried. Contrarywise, if I worked some interval drills - something I am having trouble with right at the moment, might the Olds be more forgiving? And if so, what does that tell me about what I am doing?

Interesting though.

Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by jdostie View Post
    Hm: Would you say French horns a mellophones "slot well?" I've always associated the ease with which you can "slide around," or the ease with which you can "miss" for that matter were because they don't slot as well as say a trumpet. Granted it makes some things easier, but others harder - and yes, that could be and probably is a function of the player's current ability/how much work he's put in, but nonetheless, they seem to "move more easily."

As an experiment, I might pull out my Olds Ambassador and see how my flexibility compares to my Benge doing some lip trills. It could be that once you've got something working sufficiently well it won't make any difference whatever, but I was thinking that it might have been more difficult to do lip trills on my Olds when I first started working them again - but I never tried. Contrarywise, if I worked some interval drills - something I am having trouble with right at the moment, might the Olds be more forgiving? And if so, what does that tell me about what I am doing?

Interesting though.
    Ok, so I did the "test," and I did find that lip trills were not quite as easy on the Olds Ambassador as the Benge or my Jupiter pocket for that matter. I'm not sure if that's a comment on my development or just the "slotting" of the horns. I could still trill, but with the Olds, it had a different feel, almost stiffer if that makes sense.

Fortissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post

Robin, I am completely convinced that this is a term that professionals use to confuse those of us who aren't.

Is there any guidance in this really for comeback players and kids to do anything other than listen and play in tune?

Tom

Thread Information