Trumpet Discussion Discuss Walt Johnson On The Section/Team. in the General forums; 8-)...
    Mezzo Piano User

Walt Johnson On The Section/Team.

8-)

Mezzo Forte User
    Very sage words.

One of the definitions I have for good players is that they know when to sit on top and they know when to lay back. I think that playing well in a section is an integral part of playing and it's a much more difficult skill than people realise. Generally I'm a 2nd, 3rd or 4th player and early on an experienced player gave me the advice that if I can't hear the guy next to me clearly then I'm playing WAAAAY too loud. In fact if you can't hear the first or the lead part clearly the section just ain't working well together, I always thought that was what 'lead' meant. Part of his role is to "lead" the section stylistically, the rest of the sections job is to follow.

Just my 02c really (compared to Walt Johnson's$$$$)

Regards

Trevor

IN the big band that I play with, it's interesting how everyone in our trumpet section has settled into their roles in the section. We don't have anyone competing for lead, and we put our egos aside for the betterment of the section. I've came into the section with the attitude that my job as the 4th book player is to fill out the bottom and do what I can to make the lead player's job easier, which for me means really keying in to what he's doing stylistically with the phrasing, but especially with his intonation.

Everyone in the section does their part and we do our best not to step on each other's toes. I think that it's out lack of egos that really makes out section shine. Be balance and compliment each other, letting the lead sing out over the top. I love playing in a section where everyone cooperates.

Great post Dave!
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Thread Information