Trumpet Discussion Discuss Want to get back into playing. in the General forums; I live about an hour North of Tampa, Florida. I've tried to look on-line for stores without success. Any suggestions? ...
    Pianissimo User

Want to get back into playing.

I live about an hour North of Tampa, Florida. I've tried to look on-line for stores without success. Any suggestions?

Since it's my first post I'll tell you I used to play a Benge (Serial #15189). I no longer have the horn.

Recently, I tried a Getzen and it was ok, but even though a new horn it had some finish problems. Returned it to Sam Ash music store.

I tried to purchase another Benge on-line. I sent it back. The valve caps were frozen. I was disappointed as well because it seemed "cheap". The 2nd valve slide was not in the forward direction as my old Benge. It didn't look to be well made. Much has changed since last playing 25 years ago.

Any suggestions for where to go to get a horn? I'm able to spend around $1,000.00.

I want to stay away from purchasing on-line. I'd like to go to a place, pick out a horn, play it and compare it with others. I'm not sure about trying to get one off EBAY or on-line.

Forte User
    http://www.dillonmusic.com/used_inst...0Bb%20Trumpets

I know you want to stay away from getting one online, but they have some good horns for the price range you are in. I think they also let you try them out before you buy..but i am not positive of that.

Pianissimo User
    dizforprez,
    Thanks!

Mezzo Forte User
    Hi,

If you want to go with the tried and tested find a Kanstul dealer. The Kanstul Chicago is as good a 'Benge' as you'll find (Go onto the Kanstul topic and Jack Kanstul has told the story). Like the old Benges the 2nd slide points forward, the valve caps all screw off and come in ML, MLP and L bore sizes. New they're about $1200 from Dillons but ocassionally a second hand one comes up...definitely worth a look.

Regards

Trevor

Pianissimo User
    camelbrass,
    Thanks for the information. I'm looking at Kanstul's website now. 8)

Mezzo Forte User
    Spawn,

Also look at the 'Chicago Benge' thread under the Vintage forum. Both Tom Turner and Jack Kanstul give great background on the Kanstul replica. Hope this helps.

Regards

Trevor

Thread Information