Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Want to learn the trumpet in the General forums; Hey, I've been lurking on these forums this week and I just registered. I love hearing the trumpet in jazz, ...
    New Friend

Want to learn the trumpet

Hey, I've been lurking on these forums this week and I just registered. I love hearing the trumpet in jazz, so I'm considering of starting to play the trumpet myself. I was wondering though, how long does it take to get pretty decent at playing jazz on the trumpet if I take up lessons and practise about 15-30 minutes a day? I do realize the trumpet is a difficult instrument, I'm definately not expecting amazing results in a very short time. I'd just like to know.

As for starting, I think I will rent a trumpet for a few months before buying. That way I can decide if I want to go on with it. Is that a good idea?

Piano User

Re: Want to learn the trumpet

Well, a good way to starting learning is to find the best teacher in your area, and then get 20-30min lessons with him/her.
    Don't expect to be playing Jazz straight away though, you'll be playing twinkle twinkle little star and other utterly boring pieces for a while until you get any good (not to put you off), when you get to around grade 2 level, then you will start to play simple Jazz, it will probably take a year to get to this point if you practise every day.

No one can tell you exactly how long you'll need before being able to play jazz well, but well in most peoples books is grade 5, the jazz at that stage starts to get really fun, and you'll start learning impro. and playing solos (if you're in a band). My advice would be to start off with classical music (even if that does sound boring) so you get a good understanding of rhythm etc, then move onto Jazz, and join a jazz or swing band etc. I wouldn't try screaming straight away, as middle C will be the best you'll get :P .

I disagree, some of the jazz coming out of Europe sounds just like me after I'd been at it for only a week!
    (Above/left) Alexanders ragtime band-circa 1960

Chalmers Big and Tall midwest sales district credit card division

I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know.
    Mark Twain
    "Strive to have enemies that define you"

Pianissimo User

Hi, Stabby: You have a long way to travel, my friend, but what an enjoyable trip it is! Get going immediately. Where are you located? Try to get next to someone who plays the kind of stuff you like - you can learn a lot by listening - and making an attempt to emulate. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
    Bill Martin

Forte User

Hi Stabby,(
    How long does it take to get decent? Much longer than you have..
    But seriously, quit asking silly questions, rent a trumpet, get a teacher and get busy.
    15 minutes a day for a year(probably 9 or 10 months) is all you will need to be able to play simple songs with the church piano player or someone you can jam with. A year should give you a sense of "is this what I want".
    Feel free to ask any questions about how to play the trumpet as you practice for the year. The help is here and its top notch and they'll often give you sites to look at to reinforce what they are telling you.
    may I suggest How to Play the Trumpet by Clark Terry VHS or DVD (you can get it used cheap on ebay)

Pianissimo User

Bill has some good advice (as do the others) but I wish to add that I have been listening to Raphael Mendez for 60 years and I still can't play like that!
    Bruce in the Peg

1987 Yamaha 2320
    1962 Olds special trumpet # 341xxx
    1965 Olds Ambassador cornet #518xxx

Forte User

Get a good competent teacher and as far as practice is concerned the more you practice and the longer you practice per day the quicker you will have a chance of becoming good. Don't worry right now about playing jazz instead worry about learning to play the trumpet.

New Friend

Thanks, you guys. A year seems quite long for just getting to grade 2 (assuming there are about 6-7 grades).

Having to play classical for a whole year kind of puts me off though...

Pianissimo User

There's only one way. Get an instrument and do it.
    How long varies a lot. Some folks take to it straight away and progress rapidly, others have to work at it for longer.
    To get to a reasonable level of technical competence will probably take at least a couple of years so be prepared to commit to that.

Stabby, a quote from an uknown source, "It takes two years to train a fighter pilot and at least five to train a musician" welcome to our life long journey.
    Ted
    Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information