Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Warm up routines in the General forums; I was wondering what you all do for your warm up routines. How long on average does your warm up ...
    New Friend

Question Warm up routines

I was wondering what you all do for your warm up routines. How long on average does your warm up last. Sometimes I'm afraid I'm not warming up long enough...
    I start with mouthpiece buzzing and then long tones. I then usually do some lip slurs and scales. All in all, it last about 5-10 minuets. Does anyone have some advice on what I could add to my routine, or is it just fine how it is?

Re: Warm up routines

My warm up is never longer than a minute or two.

My worst warm up was a big band gig tribute to Buddy Rich and I had the lead book. The sound check was the warm up.

I freed myself psychologically of the warmup because there are simply too many gigs where you have no chance. I have to admit that I find trumpet players with an extended necessity for warmups should do them at home. They are for the most part NOISE POLLUTION for rehearsals. When they are wailing around you can't talk to anybody, and they still end up missing notes and making excuses.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Dothan, Alabama

My routine is not unlike rowuk, short and focused. It's anoying listening to everyone not just warming up excessively, but playing bits of musical pieces over an over as well. I play a long, slow chromatic scale to warm the horn a little, then a few exercises with a C (Bb Concert) scale (not the straight scale but C,D,E,C,D,E,F,D,E,F,G,E,F,G,A,F etc, up and down to loosen up my fingers, I listen for intonation, then I am ready.

1913 Conn Circus Bore Cornet
    Early 1970s Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
    1972 Olds Pinto Bb Trumpet (Weird Horn!)
    1969 Conn 38B Connstellation Bb Trumpet

I was playing once and afterwards, a little boy approached me and stated that he played the trumpet. I asked, "Do you play like I do?" and he replied, "I used to."

The Wide Brown Land

Because of my position in the band - van, or trailer, driver, senior roady, sane older (well, not so sane) remedial 3rd trumpet player, and sound system assistant, time for warm-up is restricted.

Like Rowuk I have found that I have dispensed with the warm-up by simply imagining that I don't need it. I usually run up and down one of the scales very slowly to just (once again) lock in the tone - I do my initial tune by ear at this point - I mostly do the same thing very quickly to re-jig the fingers from lifting/driving/rude gesturing to band members into trumpet playing mode (I repeat this with a couple of arppegios) - I then tie my tie and blow quietly through the instrument whilst waiting for the BD to announce the band - that's all. I rarely have more time than that but it seems to work for me.

I guess you become used to a routine if you practice, but that's trumpet playing isn't it?
    Last edited by tedh1951; 12-11-2009 at 06:04 PM.

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Levittown , NY

I like a long warm up , about 30 minutes, soft long tones , lip slurs, arpeggios up to my top note with peddle tones in between each one, it's something I always do at home before I go to a gig or rehearsal ,when I get there a few notes with a harmon mute and I'm ready to go, if I'm pressed for time I buzz the mouthpiece in the car on the way there ,then do the harmon thing.

Pianissimo User
    Winnipeg, Manitoba

I keep it reasonably short. I start with mouthpiece buzzing to make sure everything works in terms of sound production and that the buzz sounds good, then I go straight to basically a Clarke First Study from C to low F# as quiet as I can manage while still getting a tone out. Then I do the noodle (I think that's what it's called) - it's outlined in the Flexus book, I think - to get flexibility in gear. Then I'm pretty much good to go. Depending on time, I'll also usually throw in a couple of Chicowicz flow studies for overall sound and stuff.

2009 Yamaha Xeno 8335RGS/Bach 3C
    Getzen 300 Series
    Yamaha 16C4-GP
    Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz
    Getzen 7C

Forte User
    Clarksburg, WV

I'll play the first few bars of something..............set the horn down.......take about 5 -10 minutes to get a drink of water........then start playing.

Artitst in Residence
    Fortissimo User

It is not unusual to have little or no time for warming up in the studio or concert hall. The shorter the warmup, the better.
    Be sure Brain is engaged before putting Mouthpiece in gear.
    S.Suark 1951

Pianissimo User
    Fayetteville, AR

I take at the most 15 minutes. I start with mpc then do long tones with half-step bends. I do some quick flexiblilites and I'm off. I do all this at mp max. Just like any athletic activity you want to get your muscles warmed up for strenuous activity. This only take 5-10 min. I do have a routine that I go through every day that includes all of the fundamentals, but I do not use it as my warmup...that's practice.
    Andy Sites
    King 600 (first horn)
    Taylor Chicago 46 VR (my baby)

"Trumpet playing isn't rocket science...because we know how to make rockets."
    Stephen Leisring

Piano User
    New Hampshire

There are two different uses for the warm-up, so it's important in my opinion to determine just what you hope to get out of the warmup in any given situation. A short warmup often is just a couple of long tones to make sure your chops are working properly and to get the body coordination lined up so that you're ready to play for however long you need.

On the other hand, if you are using the warmup as part of your daily routine to improve aspects of your trumpet playing, then a longer warmup is in order. Following the James Stamp routine, if one plays along with the CD takes between 30 and 45 minutes, depending on how high one takes the exercises. And using such a routine almost daily for the past 5 months has made an incredibly improvement in my playing. Using the Thompson Buzzing book for your warm-up will take about as long as the Stamp warmups.

Andy raises an important question -- if it's a routine you do every day no matter what else you play that day, is it truly practice or is it a warmup? This becomes more a matter of semantics but it's important, I think, in relation to what one wants to accomplish. In my mind, "practice" begins when one starts working on the current list of music to be prepared, such as a solo, some technical etudes which change from week to week, band/orchestra parts, music to be performed. But anything I do on a daily basis or I don't play my best, I consider to be "warmup."

For me, I need two different warmups -- one is a set of notes or quick riffs which helps me get focused on the instrument in my hands and the music I'm about to perform/rehearse. The other warmup is one that I try to do every day which covers all the basics and helps keep me in shape so that if my self-employed work schedule precludes any further practice that day, I have continued to grow as a trumpet player.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information