Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rowuk
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Warm Up Stretches in the General forums; Does anyone stretch before they play, and if so, what do you do? I heard that it can be good ...
    New Friend

Warm Up Stretches

Does anyone stretch before they play, and if so, what do you do? I heard that it can be good to stretch the muscles around your diaphragm before you play because it allows greater flexibility and breathing.

Re: Warm Up Stretches

Actually stretch is the wrong word for what I do. Yes, I do some tension relieving before playing. That has more to do with tensing certain muscles, then relaxing. Kind of like shoulders up, then let them hang - then various muscle groups down to my toes and back. If I am playing after a long car ride, I massage neck, shoulders, arms.

No, I do not really do anything around the diaphragm (which only is used for the inhale) or abs (for a forced exhale). The only thing that helps my breathing is a "big" body where the chest cavity is not collapsed on the lungs.

A lot of people write a lot of stuff, without your source we don't know if they had any experience or just wrote something because it seemed like common sense. I "heard" is pretty vague. I heard on the internet that President Obama was a terrorist child. I wouldn't ask the question anywhere as I checked the source out. He is not. You too can checkyour source and see if where you heard this from has anything to do with really high quality trumpet playing.......

It is always the full context that leads us to enlightenment. Most things have at least a bit of truth - that makes them dangerous to those that cannot check the plausibility.
    Sethoflagos likes this.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information