Trumpet Discussion Discuss Water from Inside the bell in the General forums; This will be a strange question.I note that I have to remove the water from my horn a lot, and ...
    Puerto Rico

Water from Inside the bell

This will be a strange question.I note that I have to remove the water from my horn a lot, and a lot of it comes out the bell. Whats the reason?
    Jesus I trust in You

Manchester / London

Mezzo Piano User trumpet blower88's Avatar
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I notice that too, but only in marching band and full symphony. I'm guessing it's it condensation that only get all the way to the bell when I'm useing a lot more air, like in marching band and full symphony...
    -David Jacques

Forte User
    Rochester, MN
    I think that's perfectly normal and it's probably worse depending on how humid or dry the climate you live in is. As I understand it, the moisture in the horn is just condensation resulting from the air inside the horn being much warmer than the air outside the horn. While the bulk of this condensation occurs inside the leadpipe and tuning slide, there is some in the bell as well. So after a good amount of playing, enough builds up from the valve casing out that you get little drops of water draining out the bell.

I would imagine that this happens more in the humid climates where there's more moisture in the air.

Rogerio? Anyone from AZ or UT wanna weigh in and comment on if they get a lot of water in the bells of their horns?
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who do not.

Utimate User

I'm going to bet that you keep your trumpet on a trumpet stand. The condensation goes to the tuning slide. When you move the trumpet around in the humid climate of Puerto Rico and combine it with the cold air conditioning, you're going to get water out the bell.

Tempe, Arizona
    Right now in Arizona we have single digit humidity and the dew point temperature is in the 20s (F). This is the magic number that you have to look for when talking about condensation. When you are playing your horn, you are adding moist air from your lungs into the instrument. As the moisture content in the instrument rises, so does the dew point temperature.

In Arizona, we officially enter our Monsoon season (summer thunderstorms) when we reach a dew point temperature of 55F for three days in a row (i.e. the humidity is much higher). When you have moist air from your lungs moving through the horn, and fairly cool temperatures (like a trumpet bell in a cold hall), the moisture is quickly going to condense and make its way eventually to the bell. That’s what’s happening in this case.
    Derek Reaban
    Tempe, Arizona

Thread Information