Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Water Valve Question in the General forums; Originally Posted by Mr. Explorer I have the same flugel as the OP (got it in 2008), and I have ...
    Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

Re: Water Valve Question

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Explorer View Post
    I have the same flugel as the OP (got it in 2008), and I have the same problem, but with all of my water keys! The first valve slide I just take out and dump, but that's not an option with the other two, so i end up doing a lot of shaking and twirling. I get a lot of funny looks from the bone players behind me...
    The there are the (French) Horn players - they either think that you are a kindred spirit or else they think you are mocking them. Fortunately, they are in front of you so they may not notice.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Pianissimo User
    Suburban Boston

Just out of curiosity, do the flugels with horizontal valve tubing have more, less, or the same degree of difficulty with water evacuation in comparison with the flugels with vertical valve tubes?

I am just wondering whether gravity has any positive or negative effect on water evacuation.
    If you can read this, you're not practicing

Flugelhorn = water retention device!
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Ithaca NY

On a flugel there is no length of leadpipe with a drain on it, and the valves all catch the condensation where on a trumpet it usually collects in the tuning slide. That means they are prone to collecting water as most posters here affirm.

I blow gently (Kanstul 1525) with key open while changing the horn angle, and then rotate the horn to drain the water out the bell as well.
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

Something that I have done to all my horns is to have a good tech ream (not drill) out the hole in the Amado water key and the tubing to a larger size. Make sure that they also deburr the inside of the tubing afterwards too. You will be surprised as to how much larger these can be reamed to. This really really makes a big difference. Drains waaaaay better afterwards.
    "To crush your enemies, have them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women" - Conan

Forte User
    Clarksburg, WV

The info nordlandstrompet passes on is excellent and I'm sure will help a lot of people with amado water key problems. Great post!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information