Trumpet Discussion Discuss Web Cam Lesson Opinions in the General forums; I'm thinking of trying these; any opinions?...
    Austin, TX

Web Cam Lesson Opinions

I'm thinking of trying these; any opinions?

Piano User

Re: Web Cam Lesson Opinions

All I have to say is: good luck!

If you have worked with the teacher in person before, maybe they know enough to really help over the web. If your acquaintance is virtual from the beginning, so is the lesson.

Part of real lessons are unseen, unsaid and perhaps subconciously picked up by both parties. The web is a pretty big filter as only a fraction of the sonic and visual clues are transmitted due to resolution and bandwidth. The power of a good player standing next to you can't be "virtualized".

Good luck!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Two things...first, it depends a great deal on the teacher. I personally know of a great teacher who can effectively teach over regular telephone and no video at all. As far as I know, he is the only one that can pull that off and that took him many, many years and thousands of lessons to perfect. Second, the Skype connection we have today is a phenomenal resource. For less than $200 (and a good broadband connection, of course), one can view video in high definition and listen to audio in high-fi. I use this method myself and it is just like sitting in front of the student. In case you're interested, I use a Blue Snowball USB mic and a Logitech Quickcam webcam. In addition, Skype-to-Skype calls are FREE anywhere in the world. I'm amazed more people aren't aware of it. IMO, it would be a huge mistake to not take advantage of this technology. --Ken B.
    GHP BRASS...The right stuff for trumpeters
    Please visit our website:

I think Rowuk and Rocketman bring up good points. In the end, I think it depends on what you're goals are. I have a local private teacher. I also particpate in web cam lessons every few months with another teacher. I use Skype over a high-speed connection.

For me, the virtual lessons seem to work best for occasional instruction that complements my regular lessons. My online teacher is not local, so the web cam is the only option. But I want to work with him, because I feel he has expertise that my regular teacher does not have, and his approach seems to work well with me.

I'm not sure about others' experiences. But if you looking for regular lessons, I think the web cam approach may not be ideal. As Rowuk stated (even with the best equipment), "only a fraction of the sonic and visual clues are transmitted". However, for complementary instruction, I've found that online lessons work well for me.

Thread Information