Trumpet Discussion Discuss Website Importance in the General forums; Hi all, I'm fairly new to this site and was browsing several sections in the forum and thought it would ...
    New Friend
    Rochester, NY

Smile Website Importance

Hi all,
    I'm fairly new to this site and was browsing several sections in the forum and thought it would be good to start a discussion about websites. What do you think is important to include on a website and why?
    A website to me is an online business card with extra cool things. Besides contact info and bio I think it's essential to have teaching and playing experience, recordings of yourself (and video if possible), and hopefully something fun that isn't exactly music related.
    I recently used to create my own personal website: Website of trumpet player John Britton - musician and composer. Tell me what you think and I would love to hear your general comments and ideas about uses for a website. Thanks!

Pianissimo User
    Western, NY

Re: Website Importance

The most important thing about a website is getting hits to drive your business (getting gigs and commissions). There are a wide variety of tools to utilize to improve your hit count and ranking on search engines. Very important stuff. Often overlooked is affiliate links. Site looks good, next is to get the traffic! Eastman! great, I grew up in Rochester, was in the prep program in high school.
    Last edited by Back at it; 05-05-2010 at 03:58 PM.

Ithaca NY

I just scoped your site and here are my comments:

Maybe younger eyes don't have an issue, but for my 63-yar-old ones the fonts are hard to read -especially in your BIO section. And the page organization doesn't really flow. I find good sites have a flow to them - move you from one section to the other, and rather than have everything on one page it is better to have several pages with links to them and that way you can keep the visual content from being so intense and

That said, it is a good start and I think you will probably be refining it. A web page for a "budding" artist is essential. In a clinic at Ithaca College, Columbus, OH, jazz trumpeter and bandleader Byron Stripling emhasized the need for all graduating music performers to have their own web site. He also said, "Ain't no job gonna call you on the telephone", reminding students that pro-activiness is essential for jump-starting their careers.

Grand Island, NE

Looks like a good start on your website John, but I agree with the above post...

Check out seems like lots of musicians use that for their's very well set up.

Check out my website at Louie Eckhardt for an idea...

BTW, I see you studied with Fitz...did my MM with him at Penn State...what a great teacher (and player!!)

Louie Eckhardt, MM
    Freelance Trumpeter
    Cathedral Brass Quintet

Thread Information