Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Wedding Gig Stories in the General forums; I was curious as to what some of your wedding gig "stories" were. I'll go first! A couple weeks ago ...
    Provo, UT

Wedding Gig Stories

I was curious as to what some of your wedding gig "stories" were. I'll go first!

A couple weeks ago I played a gig in Park City, Utah. It is such a beautiful place, if you haven't been there. The wedding was at the top of the mountain, and they only had me play Clarke's "Prince of Denmark March" (I didn't even get all the way through it). Anyway, after the wedding, we rode the alpine slide down. And I got paid! So it was a worthwhile gig. What are some interesting wedding gig stories?
    'My advice is to never do tomorrow what you can do today. Procrastination is the thief of time.'
    - Charles Dickens

Re: Wedding Gig Stories

Considering that my primary gig since 2001 has been playing in an upscale wedding dance band to the tune of 30-40 weddings a year, I've seen all kind of things. Bawling bridesmaids, Bridezillas, wardrobe malfunctions, barfing brides, (just a leeeeetle too much to drink) boorish best men, weeping maids of honor, dance floor faceplants, etc. There's plenty of time for more of that though.

There is one particular wedding gig story I'd like to share though. That day I was running late having gotten caught in some traffic running a morning errand, so I jumped in the shower, shaved, threw on my tux and raced over to the church. When I got to the church I realized that I had nicked myself shaving and had gotten blood on the collar of the tux shirt, so I rummaged around in the church office, came up with a bottle of White-Out, and dabbed that over the blood as a cover, which worked better than you might think. At this point I was really running late and had yet to blow a note for the day, so I went behind the church and played through a couple of chromatic scales. Everything seemed to be in order, fortunately, because I had no time left, so I grabbed my music, went out and touched base with the organist, and started in on the wedding ceremony pre-music, which all went suprisingly well considering that I didn't even come close to doing a real warm up.

Eventually the bridal party showed up, and at the high sign, we cranked into the processional - the Clarke Trumpet Voluntary. The wedding processional was interesting - the bridesmaids practically ran down the aisle, which was completely unlike how it had gone at the rehearsal, so I hardly got through any of the Clarke trumpet voluntary before the bride came around the corner - she looked like she was hyperventilating and was about to pass out. Man, was she nervous!

At that point I put my horn down on my stand, stepped forward and got married. That was 22 years ago this month.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Travelers Rest, SC

Nice story, Trick!
    trickg and Vulgano Brother like this.
    Getzen 3850 Custom cornet - 70s Bach 180ML37 - 70s Bach CL 229 25C - Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn - CarolBrass CTR-5000L-YLT-SLB - CarolBrass pocket trumpet - Bill Jones Custom Piccolo - 40 Conn 80A Cornet - 55 Conn 18A - ACB Doubler Rose Flugelhorn - Dieter Otto flugelhorn

Fortissimo User Buck with a Bach's Avatar
    Canton, Ohio

Nothing like multi-tasking, TG
    trickg and RRVancil like this.
    Bach Artist LTD-1
    Yamaha YTR-732( now gone)
    Selman C, rose brass( ongoing experiment)
    72 Olds Custom Crafted

Selman Flugle( I know, it's Chinese)( Any body got a Getzen valve block I can put in this thing?)
    Conn 17A Cornet
    Bugles across America

Pianissimo User

Well my story did not start out to be funny but it turned out to be OK.
    To the right of the band and on the dance floor the kitchen people had placed the 4 tiered cake on a table that had been covered with a white table cloth. The table had folding legs and when assembled one leg had not clicked into the locked position. I had just finished the first solo and the sax had taken the 2nd. I walked over to the table, horn in hand, and leaned on the corner of the table. The leg folded and the cake rolled off with each tier going in a different direction. I ran out on to the floor and directed traffic around the tiers.
    The kitchen help took the tiers into the kitchen and returned the cake to the table 30 minutes later. The cake looked as good as new and all ended OK.
    Jolter likes this.

Pianissimo User

tuxedo story: there was a fabulous trumpet player named john howell who ended his career in chicago. his tux pants had split at the knee. when the trumpet section was standing up for the gig, it posed no problem. when the section was sitting down, john took a magic marker and colored his leg where it showed through.
    trickg and Jolter like this.

Forte User

Was playing in a big band for a wedding reception and the bride requested Someone to Watch Over Me. She decided she wanted to sing along during my solo I had a valve stick half way down, sounded like a sick cow. The valve guide was worn and the valve cocked in such a way that I actually had to pull it up. It was free and finished my solo with her singing. At the break I went over to apologize and before I could say anything she thanked me saying it was the most beautiful solo she ever heard. She was so wrapped up in her own singing she didn't hear my screw up.
    Sturmbill and mchs3d like this.
    formerly known as old geezer Dave
    Chicago Benge 33XX
    Blessing 1580 [ Powell modified ]
    Getzen 800s ml Cornet P02819
    Yam. 231 Fl. 15383
    King Master Cornet 295628
    assorted other horns

Clarksville, Tennessee, U

Played a friends wedding about 30 years ago. Playing the Voluntary for the bride. She froze and missed her entrance. The 5th time through the Voluntary she decided to go ahead down the aisle. It all went well, but I had chewed a hole through the skin in my lower lip where there used to be a callous.
    "Music is a fire in your belly that has to come out of your mouth, so you'd better put a horn in the way before someone gets hurt"
    1949/50 Super Recording
    1949 Martin Committee
    1947 Olds Super
    Olds Super/Ultrasonic trumpet
    Olds Recording trumpet
    Olds Mendez
    Olds L-12
    Conn 40B
    Eclipse MR scratch gold
    Bach 37
    Scherzer Picc
    Buescher Mdl 15 Cornet in Bb/C/A (Dad's old horn)
    Boston 3 Star Ne Plus Ultra
    Natural trumpet hand made by my friend Howard Scudder

Great Southern Land

I've only played at one wedding, and that was for a wealthy local lady who married a hotelier from the next county. I was only 16 and barely knew her, but she had heard me play with the local brass band and really wanted the "Trumpet Voluntary" (Prince of Denmark's March) with the organ. I was in the crowd as she exited the church, she broke away from her new husband and gave me a quick hug which I was quite surprised about, and made more than a bit embarrassed. Not used to that at all. A few days later the organist dropped off my share of her fee (20, which was a lot for me back then) and told me how happy the bride had been (queue more mild embarrassment).

gordonfurr1 likes this.

Dayton, Ohio

Did a private wedding at an outdoor venue. When we were finished, I went over to my case, and bent down to put my horn away. Within moments, I felt may buttock at the inner thigh by may man sac being squeezed. I turned around immediately, and was shocked that it was the BRIDE! I told her the band had already been paid, but this was going to cast extra. She then stuck a $20 bill down my pants... And she was wearing white. Yeah... I bet!!!
    gordonfurr1 and robeebee like this.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information