Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Weight loss and trumpet playing.... in the General forums; Thanks Cody....that's actually a reasonable suggestion, and I might need to do that if this issue continues. Ignore KT. After ...
    New Friend

Re: Weight loss and trumpet playing....

Thanks Cody....that's actually a reasonable suggestion, and I might need to do that if this issue continues. Ignore KT. After reading his comments I've quickly found the king Troll of the trumpet site.

FYI, KT, I CAN'T take seriously anyone who uses "back in the day" or "the times they are a changin" in a real conversation. Lol......

Banned Fortissimo User
    Florida, US

Quote Originally Posted by pintocb View Post
    Thanks Cody....that's actually a reasonable suggestion, and I might need to do that if this issue continues.
    Yeah, my band director plays with me during my instrumental technique class. It is basically 1 hour and 50 minutes of practice time. Just find little times here and there. I know how busy you can be though, sometimes there are more important things.
    Last edited by codyb226; 04-15-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Fortissimo User
    in exile from Germany

Can we get off of the judgemental/defensiveness crap please? Doesn't do anyone any good. Thanks.

Congrats on the weight loss, that takes a lot - I know. And as you probably also know, an even bigger challenge comes after you meet your target - keeping it off. Best of luck.

Regarding practicing on a busy schedule, I was very busy before I returned to the US and always had my horns out on stands and was able to get blowing time in between giving lessons, taking breaks from work at the computer, etc. It added up. Just something to think about.
    coolerdave likes this.
    You can't blow it if you haven't lived it.

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    Chet Baker

Schilke B7
    Martin Committee (1956)
    Connstellation 38B (1959)
    LA Benge 3X (1970s)
    Hans Hoyer G-10 Geyer Horn

San Antonio

You can likely expect that the shape of your lips will change, along with your cheeks and neck. That will require some adaptation, but the changes will likely occur at a rate that will allow you to keep pace. Congrats on the weight loss. Many try and few succeed to your level. Well done!

Several issues were touched on here and the all are more like symptoms than the underlying problems.

1) successfully losing weight (especially this amount)requires an attitude. Some of that attitude can be channeled to playing the trumpet better when we find the common denominator. Pintocb gave us some clues here, but what is missing is what has really changed.
    2) Pintocb has a really active exercize schedule - also here is room for untapped resources as his development moves from reduce to maintain.

Based on the "facts" that Pintocb has posted, the only thing that I can offer is the following:

playing the trumpet is not the great physical act that many players think. Most of our playing consists of the fine motor activity of the lips and tongue as well as body use and breathing. I will assume that the cardio program that is generally perscribed for weight reduction does NOT focus on fine motor activity. One thing that Pintocb should be aware of is that with the loss of fat in the face, the geometry of our embouchure changes. This means that our fine motor habits don't apply 100% to the geometry found anymore. If there is little additional practice time available, a certain amount of creativity is required to modify previous habits. This can be everything from the pencil trick ( ) to more duets with students / more playing in the context of giving lessons.

If we get more info on what is different, maybe some other stuff will become apparent.

My personal take is that "heavy exercize" often leads to a more physical approach to playing when not balanced with more fine motor activity. Perhaps moving some of the exercize to a yoga or martial arts based program can optimize the experience.
    Big Daddy likes this.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

The Wide Brown Land

Over the last 4 years or so I have dropped from 18 1/2 stone to 16 stone (and slowly falling further) - my playing has never been better or easier. I take Robin's point that my exercise regime has improved too - I guess it all adds up positively. Well done on your 25% loss - now that is tough.

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Quote Originally Posted by codyb226 View Post
    No smart reply here, but congrats on dropping the weight! That is no small feat.
    Being that size he hasn't seen his feet in years, so has no idea if they are small or not*.

*He did say smart arsed comments are expected.
    Last edited by Rapier; 04-16-2012 at 03:16 AM.
    ''I'm nearly as good as I need to be,
    but not nearly as good as I'd like to be".

~Wild Thing Trumpet~ Eclipse Enigma Trumpet ~
    ~Kanstul 1525 Flugel ~ Smith Watkins K2 Cornet ~
    ~ Besson Bugle ~ JP152 C Trumpet ~

New Friend

Nice, Rapier....I've been making a similar joke for years....but for the sake of a public forum
    I'll keep it clean. :)

Thanks guys. Lots of good info here. The thing that encourages me the most is that this is nothing unusual for someone in my position. I'll just need to make time to adjust my playing. That's doable. I've been large my whole life, and I'm not ready to see it end anytime soon. :)

Hey Pintcob,

I’m with ya here. I lost 115 pounds 3 years ago, and have kept it off. I also noticed improved playing. If you think about the exercise program you’ve chosen, to loose this amount of weight it has to work on your “Core” muscles, and a strong core improves almost everything you do. I contribute my overall improved health, attitude and outlook to my improved playing, vs. changing geometry in your face from fat loss, which doesn’t change muscle. Anyway, congrats to your will power, determination and the results, it feels great doesn’t it !!! Keep it up ! I went from 315 to 200. Pants size 44 to 34. It took 1 ˝ yrs of nonstop determination, as you know !!!!

New Friend

i lost a ridiculous amount back in high school right before summer band camp. I could barely get enough air in to use and then moving around in the heat was impossible. I just kept at it and all was well. I was back to my form in no time and even better. Just hang in there an get some more practice time in.

Gene Ramsay
    1990 - Present - Trumpet Instructor
    1992 - Bachelor of Music Education from University of Montevallo
    1996 - Drum Corps South Music Performance Judge
    2010 - Present - Alabama State Director of Bugles Across America

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information