Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Weight loss and trumpet playing.... in the General forums; I've lost close to 100 lbs in 8 months. I'm noticing a drop in volume, and endurance, and with that ...
    New Friend

Re: Weight loss and trumpet playing....

I've lost close to 100 lbs in 8 months. I'm noticing a drop in volume, and endurance, and with that fatigue a loss of some range. I'm going to be losing at least another 50. I'll up my playing over the next few months, but when marching season kicks in my tpt and I will be like long lost friends. (it happens every year) It'll be interesting to see what happens. :)

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    Hey King,
    no need to be afraid of looking in the mirror. If 3 moderators and an artist in residence are trying to tell you something, maybe you are not what you seem to be......

Pintocb is on a roll and sharing some of the ups and downs. It is a book well worth keeping open at TM.

NO - actually I am what and who I seem to be -- and that still irritates people --- I don't have a problem with Pintocb (if anyone thought I did -- then they think too much) -----
    1991 King Silver Flair
    1953 Olds Super (LA)
    1979 King KG1055T (pre UMI) Silver Flair
    1940? Olds Ambassador (LA) tenor trombone

I'm not responsible for offending people -- people are responsible for themselves taking offense at me

Quote Originally Posted by JNINWI View Post
    ...I lost 115 Lbs in 1 yrs. Went from 315 to 200 = Improved playing,
    > I do recall my mouthpiece feeling bigger at one point
    * I did not change pieces
    * I worked on putting more meat in the same piece.
    This is a good start. Another post noted effects on:
    Volume
    Endurance
    Range

I would add:
    Tone
    Tounging changes
    Fingering changes
    Practice Routine

If anyone can thing of other "outcomes" that would come with weight loss (or gain)... please add them. I will start a separate Thread with this template to begin getting input from any TM member once I develop a standardized survey sheet. Cosider us with this thread in the "Focus Group" mode.

As per contractual arrangement, BigDub will be my editor prior to starting the actual survey post.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

New Friend

This is great. I had no idea I'd start a project for someone. :) It will be a great asset for folks when finished. Please let me know what I can do to help out beyond current input.

Quote Originally Posted by pintocb View Post
    This is great. I had no idea I'd start a project for someone. :) It will be a great asset for folks when finished. Please let me know what I can do to help out beyond current input.
    Just keep watching for the Survey Thread and be prepared to answer. Also your edits and comments as suggestions come in from this focus group regarding survey questions would be much appreciated.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

I thought I was loosing my darn mind....

I have suffered untold changes in my playing that I can't seem to counter act. After reading here it makes sense.

I had weight loss surgery in October 2011 to help me get my weight under control. I have been successful well beyond my wildest dreams in that when I started I weighed 372 Lbs today Just a bit over one year later I weigh 196 or so. I've lost over 170 Lbs.

Along with the wieght I seem to have lost my modest ability to play the trumpet as well. Every facet of my playing has become so much a chore that I almost no longer desire playing at all.

I feel as though no matter how much air I take in; I'm suffocating. I can barely manage 4 bar phrases. My range has gone from I wish it were better to where the heck did it go? Endurance... Yeah right; what's that.

After reading here I see now that perhaps I'm way out of balance and now have to go hunting for that balance. I've been reluctent to move from my mouthpiece but really see that I probably have no choice at this point.

I currently play on a GR 3M with symphonic blank. I think it's just too big for me now. I'm going to get a Bach 7C and start there and see what happens.

Will post what I find.
    2008 Eclipse MHY Bb Trumpet in Silver Plate with interchangable leadpipes
    Getzen Capri Bb Cornet
    Bach, GR & Monette mouthpieces

Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by pintocb View Post
    Greetings!

I've recently lost a significant amount of weight. From August to now I've dropped from 395lbs to 297ish....with at least 50-60 to go. I've begun to notice some differences in my playing. I'm a middle school band director, and I play in a few groups....I average about once a week plus a gig every now and then. I don't practice like I should...maybe once a week on average. I like to play lead, and I'm more of a power player than a finesse guy. Has anyone else experienced this? Just curious. :) Thanks in advance for any insight....or smart assed replies. (I like those too, and it's a trumpet forum....it's to be expected)
    c
    Congrats on losing all that weight. With that weight loss there comes tremendous changes in body metabolism especially that associated with fat metabolism and liver function. With mobilisation of the lipids from your body stores, there is the strong possibility of what is called ketoacidosis whcih is associated with insulin production. This ketoacidosis ac alter your overall feeling of well being, increased fatigue and other side effects. So don't panic; wait till your weight stabilizes and keep practising.

Dr. Mike

As I've previously posted I've gone from 18st + down to 15st 4lbs (well it was about 10 mins ago) and while I have noticed some changes in my playing, I've attributed some of that to the re-jigging of my schedule to do other physical things when I was previously practicing. The programme has changed, the body has changed, my mental attitude has changed, so my trumpet playing has changed - I found a need to re-evaluate which of my herd of horns I use for different gigs. which MPces work with those trumpets now, what endurance I had lost, and even how I hold the trumpet.

Bottom line (and notice KT that I put it down here at the bottom) my trumpet playing is easier than it used to be.
    Ted
    Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Bought a Bach 7C from the local music store yesterday and played on it.. Wow I wish I would have thought of that sooner. My playing was at least 60 to 70 Percent better. With some practice I think I can get back to where I was at before I lost all my weight.

Any suggestions for air support exercises?
    2008 Eclipse MHY Bb Trumpet in Silver Plate with interchangable leadpipes
    Getzen Capri Bb Cornet
    Bach, GR & Monette mouthpieces

Not a medical person, Eclipsehornplayer, but are you on an exercise program that includes a reasonable aerobic component? If no, can you start one? If yes, can you safely increase intensiity?
    Jim
    Write about other folks' gear the way you would like to see them write about yours.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information