Trumpet Discussion Discuss Weird double buzz thing happening? in the General forums; Hello Ladies and gents! I have a problem with my playing that is starting to worry me just a little. ...
    Mezzo Forte User

Red face Weird double buzz thing happening?

Hello Ladies and gents!

I have a problem with my playing that is starting to worry me just a little. I've been working on using my air support (and taking lessons) a lot lately, and things are really working out great! I couldn't be happier with what using good air support has done to my tone and register. However, I've noticed, especially when I start working in my upper register or have just started playing the horn for the day, that I have problems hitting notes in the middle of my register. I mean, they're there, but I get this gross double buzz noise. Another thing that happens sometimes is when I'm playing in my higher register (not really high, but G's above the staff and stuff) and then have to jump down to, say, an A in the staff, I completely miss it and get a gross pedal tone-ish sound.

I'm not sure what it is, but I'd like any input about it. I'm going to be talking with my teacher this week, of course, but I thought that ya'll might have some insight into this problem (er, these problems?).

Thanks a bunch!

Navy Band, Washington, DC
    Nearly every brass player will encounter the double buzz at least once in their lifetime. It essentially means that you are not taking care of your chops in the best way (no offence meant)
    Think of it as a “growing pain” of sorts.. you are getting better, which is great, but not all aspects of your playing will improve at the same rate. Without knowing your playing its impossible to tell you what area the trumpet you are neglecting or overdoing. Its great that you are studying with a good teacher, he will definitely be able to help you with this. Until then just try to make sure to get a good warm-up all the time (easier said than done, I know..)

Technically I believe the double buzz occurs when a tiny piece of the lower lip stops vibrating or vibrates half as fast as it should (seems like that would be impossible right??) This makes the dreaded ‘rasp’ sound, usually down exactly one octave. I have heard top professionals struggle with this as well as a few of my junior high students. I got it a couple times in high school.

Here is an excellent link

good luck.
    Last edited by ebtromba; 10-30-2006 at 06:13 AM.

Forte User
    Atlanta, GA
    Good advice Eb.

Lara, try not to worry about the double buzzing stuff. If you are putting more air through the horn than you are used to, the flesh and muscles have to catch up. The corners have to get stronger to keep the fleshy part of your lips vibrating evenly. They both just need a little time to adjust to your new air velocity. Make sense? Keep that air moving and supported and let the flesh and muscles rise to the occasion. The double buzzing will go away.

There are some other things you mentioned that you should bring up with your teacher the next time you meet. In person is the best way to get guidance on these kinds of things.

New Friend
    Focus on what your sound is in your mind. It should be the most beautiful trumpet sound you can imagine. Your body is a slave to that thought and your problem should soon disappear. Try not to over analyze what your embouchure is doing, you could end up doing more harm than good that way. As Alan Vizzutti said: Analysis leads to Paralysis. Just focus on the end result.

Good Luck,

Mezzo Piano User
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Last edited by PH; 05-21-2007 at 09:07 PM.

Thread Information