Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Weird Question in the General forums; When I got my full upper denture since moving here to NC, it necessitated a complete rebuild of my embouchure ...
    Utimate User
    Jackson NC

Re: Weird Question

When I got my full upper denture since moving here to NC, it necessitated a complete rebuild of my embouchure and just as that was coming along, another dental appointment took most of my lower teeth and a pause waiting for the partial and then rebuild my embouchure again. All I can say is that I double on trumpet and euph well enough to enjoy doing so, and the group I play with once a week hasn't suggested I not come again.

Dental issues are a scary subject for trumpet players. A few years back I lost a molar on my bottom left side. Initially I was going to do a root canal and a procedure referred to as an onlay. My doc did the root canal, gave me a temporary filling and said I'd be good to go until next week when he finished it up. That weekend I was eating a cracker and the whole molar broke, clear down to the root. Yay. The end result was that I had it pulled, did a bone graft, and eventually did a dental implant, which cost me about $2200 out of pocket. The alternatives - leaving a gap or doing a partial, were non-starters with me. Leaving the gap would have meant that my teeth would have shifted, and I have no idea what that would have done to my trumpet playing.

I may well lose my front teeth too because I'm a habitual tooth grinder. If/when that occurs, I'll have to decide whether to spend the money for implants or some other permanent dental solution, or to call it a day with the trumpet, and do drums as my sole instrument. Or maybe pick up guitar - I've always wanted to do that, but I've never had the time to really invest in it.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Thanks for all the replies!

Piano User

This reminds me of some advice a dentist gave me a decade ago, he did some reverse psychology on me. "You don't have to floss, just floss the teeth you want to keep."
    tjcombo likes this.
    Let your music paint with colors, textures, and passion! 

Monette P3-STC
    Bach Strad 37
    Bach Cornet
    @TrumpetGamerGuy (Twitter)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information