Trumpet Discussion Discuss What to do about reviews? in the General forums; OK, so I'm playing in the pit for "Gypsy" with a local community theater group. We're only using me, bass ...
    Piano User

What to do about reviews?

OK, so I'm playing in the pit for "Gypsy" with a local community theater group. We're only using me, bass trombone, drums, and two keyboards. For those of you that don't know the music, it's really up there. The whole time. I'm taking stuff down an octave when there's singing, etc., to keep it quiet. I'm also using mutes when possible, and there's foam all around me to soak up the sound (it's a small theater). I have a few clams here and there, but nothing glaring. Well, the review comes out today- the only thing negative about the production was "a fairly constant errant trumpet."
    What does this mean, and what do I do about it? Does it mean that I just stick out cause the orchestration is so bare, I'm too loud, or because I sound bad? I've been getting compliments from the musical director.
    What else can I do to stay out of the way?
    Please, I'll take any suggestions or encouragement. This is the first time I've been reviewed, and man it sucks to be me right now.

Piano User
    I should add that there are four more perofrmances next weekend.

Forte User
    Realize that the dipsh*t who wrote the review has no clue about what is really happening, and how hard it is for us to back off so we don't bury the wimpy singers, but yet somehow manage to get the notes out.

Let it go, and just continue to do the best job you can.

I would just try to have fewer clams on the next gig and keep doing what you are doing. It does suck to get a "bad" review, especially from someone that doesn't really know what it's like to be in your shoes and may have no clue what the music is all about anyway.

I think that I can feel your pain a bit because it seems that I'm continually getting "bad reviews" although mine are constant complaints of being too loud as the drummer for my praise band in spite of the fact that I am behind a shield and am doing what I can to pull the volume back.

It sounds to me like you have the issues well in hand. Just keep plugging away.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

New Friend
    Don't worry about it, I'm sure you're doing great. It's just a matter of the newsman trying to feel important, and picking on someone when he doesn't know how hard it is to keep quiet some times.
    Don't worry about it and have fun at your performances.
    If you're going to make a mistake, go big.

Thread Information