Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss What do YOU do? in the General forums; I use the Altieri bag for big band when I ride my bike since it has back straps. I find ...
    Forte User

Re: What do YOU do?

I use the Altieri bag for big band when I ride my bike since it has back straps. I find that it carries my trumpet,flugal,mutes and accessories very easily. for concert band I use a brass bag for trumpet and cornet, I use a fabric case to carry mutes and "stuff" in. Dave
    formerly known as old geezer Dave
    Chicago Benge 33XX
    Blessing 1580 [ Powell modified ]
    Getzen 800s ml Cornet P02819
    Yam. 231 Fl. 15383
    King Master Cornet 295628
    assorted other horns

Horns in their case, accessories in a backpack.

Monroe Ct.

I have a big problem with this. I get calls to play all the time and they don't tell me what I'm playing. It's hard to know what trumpet to bring. I have a mute bag that can hold music as well and I have a triple case and a quad case.

I never mix mutes and trumpets in the same case.

What if your playing for Easter and you have to go to a rehearsal. The organist says to bring music and we will pick something. I have to bring a bunch because he can't play everything. Maybe this year he will practice the part a little and pick something a little harder. Which trumpet to bring? E-flat for Haydn, I know she can read that or Picc for Tartini? C trumpet for the other parts? What if there is another guy and he is playing B-flat? I better take that too. Do I need flugel for communion? I better grab it. What if the other guy is an all-star and he is playing first on Picc stuff, better bring the D trumpet.

This is how I get caught up in it.

New Friend

Excellant topic!

Amoung the many bands I play with, I play in two different big bands. Each book has it's own book bag.

I have a couple 'double' bags (Reunion Blues gig bag, and a WolfPak double). My flugel stays in one of the doubles. When I need a flugel, I put my main trumpet in the double and take that.

Otherwise, my main trumpet stays in a tough single case (Walt Johnson like cheap knockoff).

I have a cool leather bag (like a gym bag) that I got for $10 that takes all my mutes (in individual mute bags). It has plenty of pockets for value oil, pencils, tuner, metronome, snake, horn stands (in-bell types, NOT stored in-bell). spit rags, etc. etc.

I also have a Manhasset-like travel music stand that has its own case.

Then is gets complicated, because I double on trombone. So I also have a Pro-Tec tenor bone case. Bone stand stores in the bone case.

And I also carry my 'toy box' of hand percussion.

I have a small Toyota Pickup with a shell on the back. To make it easy, everything but the horns stay in the truck. So when I'm heading out to a gig or a rehearsal, I grab the right horn(s) and go.

This sounds like a royal pain, but it's fairly simple. In the past when I packed specifically for a gig, I would lose things ("Where the hell is my harmon mute? I had it the other night." or worse "I need a solotone mute for this musical theater thing and I haven't seen it in 6 months.") By keeping everything together, I don't lose things.

The other advantage to keeping everything in the truck is that the stuff is there if I unexpectedly need it. I did a big band gig last night on trumpet. One of the bone players forgot his mute, I covered it. The drummer needed a vibra-slap, it was in the truck. Then I forgot my tie, so it all comes back around.

I'm happy with the set-up. Although I have been eyeing a double trombone case (two tenors or tenor and bass). That would allow me to carry my bone and trumpet in the same case.

And just to show that I'm not a total head case, I stay completely away from the PA, amps, board, monitors and the milk crates full of cables.

The Wide Brown Land

Yep, a real problem.
    I bought a Honda Jazz - the only thing missing is a handle on the top - but everything fits (maybe that's why they call it a Honda Fit in the UK?).
    Seriously though - a good Galaxy case with 1 trumpet and space for Harmon, straight, cup, and plunger works fine - at a pinch I can carefully get the trumpet stand into the bell whilst in the case - not ideal but that's where it sits between sets anyhow. My music stand is concealed in a piece of 100mm PVC tube with one screw-on end and an old bag strap attached - this gets chucked over the shoulder and is absolutely bullet proof although a touch heavier than I would like - stuff like music (soft folder), and clips (pegs) for outside work, fit in here too. This arrangement allows me to carry the second trumpet in it's normal case. My music travels with the Band Director, and meets me at the gig. I have a complete set of authorised practice scores at home so music scores are really the least of my worries. Three cheers for small Hondas.

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Banned Pianissimo User
    outside of Philadelphia

All of this talk about gig bags makes me cringe. TOO MANY TIMES I have witnessed trumpet players bringing a horn to a gig in a gig bag only to go home with a damaged horn. I think for most players it has more to do with appearing "cool" . But a trumpet player sure doesn't look cool with a damaged horn. They usually look pissed off.

Hard shell cases are easier to haul around on a hand truck or dolly, if you are bringing multiple cases.

Do yourselves a favor and get out the hard shell case, or buy a new one.

On that note, anybody have a hard shell case for sale that will accomadate 4 Bach herald trumpets?

North Alabama

Horns in their case, mutes in a bag. All of which are carried by an illegal worker for $5 a day. Is this a great country or what?

Trumpet - 1966 Olds Ambassador
    Mouthpiece -Stork VM10
    New BE Student

Heart of Dixie

If I need 2 or 3 horns and mutes, too, I use a Bach quad case. The fewer cases and bags I have to carry and keep up with, the better. Music folders will fit under the case cover, so it's all together in one place (plus there are spaces for 4 mouthpieces inside ).
    Olde Towne Brass

Brass Band of Huntsville

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

Mezzo Forte User

Quote Originally Posted by Bugler View Post

On that note, anybody have a hard shell case for sale that will accomadate 4 Bach herald trumpets?

Golf bag? ;)

Mezzo Forte User

I take this

Gordon Hudson: Trumpet Cases and Instrument Storage Ideas

Plus the cases with the instruments in.
    Normally a double case is sufficient.
    I try and stick to one instrument for a whole concert program if at all possible but sometimes I need to have my piccolo trumpet or a cornet with me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information