Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Trumpet Discussion Discuss What do YOU do? in the General forums; Hello, I tried replying earlier, but it wouldn't load. So here goes. I use a Reunion Blues triple, and I ...
    Mezzo Piano User Brass crusader's Avatar
    Buffalo, NY/ Hartford, CT

Re: What do YOU do?

I tried replying earlier, but it wouldn't load.
    So here goes.
    I use a Reunion Blues triple, and I bought an old leather U.S government issue legal file case at a yard sale for 50 cents. It's compact, yet deep, and can hold all my mutes(harmon, cup, straight, plunger), and triple trumpet-flugel stand, music, oil, tuners, folding stand, et cetera. I've figured out the way to pack everything, and it's great. Occasionally, I put two horns in the triple, and put two mutes in that middle slot, and music in the outer pocket.
    Otherwise, I use hard cases, lest one of my babies get a crease or even a ping or scratch on that bell. I've seen those new Torpedo bags, they look interesting.
    When in doubt, better to use heavy, clunky cases, and your horn will stay safe.
    Talk to you guys later
    AFM Local 400

Pianissimo User

My C130 heavy cargo plane lands at the nearest airport. My custom, tripple tractor trailer rig is loaded and meets my roadies just outside the city. Its all loaded into my special intercity transport cargo vans. They deliver it all to the gig. Of course we have reserved most of the parking for our advanced music studio tuning truck and lounge.

Then a roadie delivers my Schilke B1 and a cup mute right to my seat. Ah. Now thats how its done.

Pianissimo User
    Atlanta, GA

I haven't read the whole thread, but seems to me that the answer is simple:

Bring what you need in whatever conveyance you have. If you're not sure what you'll need, bring everything! I've got a M.B. quad and a Rocky Mountain 2.5. I'll interchange depending on what horns I want to bring. I carry my mute bag separately if needed.

trumpet is so hard because it is so easy

Ask for a limousine ;)
    F. Pérez
    Historical Brass Instruments
    Super-Horns & Custom Trumpets

Vancouver, BC Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Principaltrumpet View Post
    Say your going to a gig, and you need many horns plus a large variety of mutes. Do you carry a large multiple horn bag or case and a seperate mute bag....or what?
    I just purchased a new Altieri 3 horn bag and as much as I love it I find it is impossible to fit all of my music and mutes into it.
    Just a thought....
    I own a quad case made in England called Brass Bags. These are amazing. You can fit up to 4 full size trumpets. You could carry less horns and fit your mutes.

Be patient when ordering it takes time to manufacture and ship the cases from England.

Good Luck.
    Bb trpt: Bach-Stradivarius 180ML silver
    C trpt: Bach-Stradivarius 180CC silver (might add Melk leadpipe)
    C rotary trpt: Ganter G3a gold brass (Cichowicz was owner)
    Eb/D trpt: Schilke E3L gold-plated
    Bb/A picc. trpt: Bach-Artisan AP190S
    Bb/A rotary picc. trpt: Scherzer 8111 gold brass
    Bb cornet: Bach-Stradivarius 184L gold-plated

Wedge mouthpieces: B10.5C (piccolo trumpets), 1.5AC (cornet), 1.5BC (Bb, C, D, & Eb trumpets)
    Stomvi 1.5C and/or Breslmair G1 (C rotary trumpet)

San Antonio, TX

Thinking ahead, I only bring the horns I need--max is 2--trumpet and flugel. I use multi-horn case for the horns and a separate bag for mutes, etc, if needed. Note the Pro-Tec trumpet/flug case does have enough room in its pocket for herc multi-stand and mutes, stand light, etc....

There is a guy in our band that brings all his horns to every show (5 or 6), because he likes TOP, and "that's the way they do it". I'm serious. He doesn't even play all of them during the show. nd he has to use the "big" stands. It really crowds the rest of us, but it's not enough to make a big deal over.
    Doug Walsdorf
    Schilke B2
    Kanstul 1525
    1927 Conn 22B New York Symphony
    "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information