Trumpet Discussion Discuss What do you do when you are nervous?? in the General forums; ....
    Pianissimo User

What do you do when you are nervous??

Last edited by 12erlgro; 07-12-2012 at 05:59 PM.
    B&S Challenger II 3143/2 reversed lead-pipe
    Yamaha Custom 16C4-GP

New York State USA

Re: What do you do when you are nervous??

I have been closing my eyes, and more or less playing to myself trying to feel and listen to the sound without regard to the audience being there and watching my every move.

Then again - I have only had a couple of gigs, and they have been in my relatively friendly small church (100+ people) - where closing your eyes is rather accepted - but it helps me anyhow -- so I do it.

Breathe, and when blowing a solo I try to remember that I can take the horn off my face and not play for a sec.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

Trumpet Maker

Pianissimo User
    Franklin, Pa

For years I had a terrible pre-gig battle with nerves to the point I would gag for hours,and sometimes it would just tear me up!! Now, I have a beer before the gig, and it helps any jitters I might have, but for the last 6 or 7 beers, umm....err....uh....YEARS, Ive been ok. And prayed alot too!!

Forte User
    Indianapolis, In

I had a terrible time when I was younger until my teacher at the time told me to go out with the attitude I was going to the best I could do and if the people liked it great if not to heck with them. It's a hard attitude to adopt, but it does work.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Are you really nervous, or excited? Our bodies can't tell the difference between the two. Both exhibit the same physiological symptoms, such as a racing heart, etc. It falls into the realm of a "fight or flight" response. If you've prepared and can play the piece then be a fighter, and knock the heck out of it. If you've haven't prepared then fake it and knock the heck out of it anyway.

Self doubt, while useful to such things as a decision to do something life-threatening (like climbing a cliff without ropes or jumping off a high bridge) has no place in music.

Instead of "fear" think "energy."

You'll be surprised!

Have fun!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Thread Information