Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss What do you guys for to work on Endurance? in the General forums; I put together a simple system for increasing endurance the easy way. You can get free and some other PDFs ...
    Pianissimo User

Re: What do you guys for to work on Endurance?

I put together a simple system for increasing endurance the easy way. You can get free and some other PDFs in the sample pack at MPH Music - Mark Hendricks -

Author of "Give It The 3rd Finger: 101 Trumpet Studies For Making Your 3rd Finger Work Right And Your Tongue And Chops Too" - PLUS the FREE Special Report "How To Increase Your Endurance The Easy Way" - Get the freebie and samples

NY, NY

Hey cats - great thread and posts. Chris Gekker also expands on some of the ideas that Rowuk is speaking of with the high and low impact. Definitely worth searching for and reading. I want to also contribute to the idea of taking the impact off the chops as much as possible. Make sure you have the tongue and air support involved to its maximum efficiency. I feel the best way to do this is lip slur exercises. What I would recommend is to make sure you can play the Irons book comfortably and smoothly. Once you can play Groups 21 and 22 easily in the way he describes in the book, I would go to this exercise which I describe in detail in my posts here: "7 in 7 exercise" Claude Gordon? - View topic: Trumpet Herald forum This is my variation on an exercise a TM poster once talked about on this forum. All the very best, Lex

Tidewater, VA

Quote Originally Posted by mallik503 View Post
    how long does this usually take you.
    I do something similar to this where i hold notes for a minute starting on third space C and go down to Eb.(ten minutes+ten notes) then rest and minute. I do this 6 times
    I should have used the word "brutal" to describe some of my practice habits, "self-destructive" has sounds like i'm causing irreparable damage.
    Case in point: Saturday, I spent half an hour straight practicing 1- and 2-octave chromatic scales, moving progressively faster starting at quarter notes = 60 bpm until i was up to 110 bpm and could play both octaves three times in a row without missing a note. If I'd had more time i would have gone for five times in a row.
    Gian d.
    A trumpet's just a trumpet. The music's inside *you*.

If what I've posted offends you, please feel free to leave your need for validation below.

New York State USA

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    Endurance is not a root problem, rather a symptom. I have the most endurance when I play a lot. I have a daily routine for maintenance.

The problem with treating a symptom is that the band aid covers up other issues.

Normal reason for endurance problems are sucky breathing and body use being compensated for by pressure. Without knowing what you are doing wrong (except blaming the wrong thing), a cure is tough to guess about.
    I agree -- I have noticed my endurance suffers after working all day, and then having a Thursday concert for my community band ----- my body is tired, and I tend to use more pressure and force things a bit (after all it's a concert -- I got to get the notes out) ---

and occasionally we have a concert in the summer when I am on vacation ---- so my body is refreshed, I can concentrate better on breathing, and play more relaxed ------ it's amazing how it's totally different and after a 2 hour community band concert ----- my lips still seem pretty fresh and able to play well

I would like to blame any of my endurance problems on lack of practice --- OR taking a day off here and there --- OR poor practice sessions --- ultimately for me it seems like it's fatigue in the rest of my body ---- and not a lip problem
    Yamypappy likes this.
    1991 King Silver Flair
    1953 Olds Super (LA)
    1979 King KG1055T (pre UMI) Silver Flair
    1940? Olds Ambassador (LA) tenor trombone

I'm not responsible for offending people -- people are responsible for themselves taking offense at me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information