Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss What do you think Allen was thinking during this performance? in the General forums; Now I know you shouldn't pass judgement until you have walked a mile in another man's shoes... but if I ...

What do you think Allen was thinking during this performance?

Now I know you shouldn't pass judgement until you have walked a mile in another man's shoes... but if I were the band director and I knew that we were going to back up Allen Vizutti ... well you will get the idea
    secondly
    What do you think Allen was thinking during this performance .. yes he is a class act but even Allen is human.
    last
    Do you think the advent of the iPod, iPhone, and a million other electronic distractions has created this...
    keep in mind this is a HIGH SCHOOL band not Jr High...
    performed in 2007
    !
    If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

Piano User

Re: What do you think Allen was thinking during this performance?

I don't think that technology has any affect on the quality of bands, it doesn't make the band sound worse, in fact, portable music players are great for youth bands, it lets us hear the music that we're about to play on the way to band or concerts, so we get into the mood for the music. What the issue is that some people who are in bands don't really want to be there, they go because their friends learn instruments, and in this modern age, there is no need to strive to do your best, if you do well in school because you're clever, you get a job, if you do crap, you go on the benefit system (or live at home if you don't have a benefit system). It's the same with music; you don't have to do well, and if you don't want to practice, then there's no reason to practice! Bands like this won't be shut down if they aren't doing well because people will still go to have some fun, our modern world gives us far too much security in too many things to promote a hard working and dedicated mind set, so it's not the fault of technology, but the fault of society.
    Equiner likes this.
    Main Horns:
    Will Spencer UK Bb trumpet
    Besson Sovereign

Mouthpieces:
    Curry 2M
    Curry 2DC

INTERESTING SPIN ...I was refering more to the fact that kids have more distractions and instead of practicing are playing on their phone or some video game...
    but it is sad...
    I knew kids that were in the band for the fun and friendship but at least they knew that they should practice...
    !

Piano User

I think that the term 'Distractions' is used too much in reference to technology, technology doesn't distract us, we distract ourselves through its use. An xbox, for example, do not turn itself on and force you to play it instead of practicing or doing homework, it's just there and is an easy alternative to work. There have always been other things that we can do, 10 years ago it was tv, 40 years ago it was going out, but they never stop us practicing, we stop ourselves by choosing the easy option.
    Main Horns:
    Will Spencer UK Bb trumpet
    Besson Sovereign

Mouthpieces:
    Curry 2M
    Curry 2DC

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba21500 View Post
    I think that the term 'Distractions' is used too much in reference to technology, technology doesn't distract us, we distract ourselves through its use. An xbox, for example, do not turn itself on and force you to play it instead of practicing or doing homework, it's just there and is an easy alternative to work. There have always been other things that we can do, 10 years ago it was tv, 40 years ago it was going out, but they never stop us practicing, we stop ourselves by choosing the easy option.
    Nicely stated!! My distraction is this Trumpet Master site! I cannot leave it alone. At work. At play. At home. My wife asks: “Are you answering questions from your [medical] students.” To this I reply, “ Yes honey” [when actually I am in a heated debate with Rowuk or trading innuendos with Vulgano Brother]. This IS such an easy alterative to work, but it educates me as to my other career of music, that I hold in as high regard as I do medicine. And what better place to get such EDUCATIONAL distractions then right here on TM.

Sorry coolerdave for distracting a bit from you theme of the thread but Mamba21500 touched a chord with that comment.
    tobylou8 likes this.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

Quote Originally Posted by gmonady View Post
    Nicely stated!! My distraction is this Trumpet Master site! I cannot leave it alone. At work. At play. At home. My wife asks: “Are you answering questions from your [medical] students.” To this I reply, “ Yes honey” [when actually I am in a heated debate with Rowuk or trading innuendos with Vulgano Brother]. This IS such an easy alterative to work, but it educates me as to my other career of music, that I hold in as high regard as I do medicine. And what better place to get such EDUCATIONAL distractions then right here on TM.

Sorry coolerdave for distracting a bit from you theme of the thread but Mamba21500 touched a chord with that comment.
    This thread is wide open ... all comments are welcome
    I am in total agreement... the distraction is a choice.. we know which choice these kids made. When I look at Allenin the video I think he was just trying to go to a happy place in his mind.
    !

If I were Allen....and I'm only speaking for myself...after about 18 seconds of that backup my mind would wander. Is the beer that I left on the table getting too warm to drink ? Are there going to munchkins coming out any minute and hugging my legs ? Do i have enough control over my gag reflex to feign severe health problems and exit this situation ? You get the idea.
    Chuck Cox
    1949 Martin Committee Deluxe
    Mouthpiece(s):
    Schilke 13a4a ( 80% )
    Bach 7C ( 15% )
    Bach 5V ( 5% )

I find this thread rather appalling.
    Who on this website actually KNOWS Allen? Anyone? I know people who do know him and he is a true virtuoso and gentleman. His "happy place" was very likely on that stage with those kids - regardless of their talent level. That is the kind of man he is.
    I'd also be willing to bet some of the posters on this website are no better than these kids are.

Kids today don't just have distractions, they have more schoolwork and more learning than anyone who went to high school before 1990. If they are in sports, other activities, and have to have a job, there is little time to practice. Back in high school (1964 -1968) we all had an extra period called "study hall". Band and choir members could come into the music department and practice. Many of us did just that.

Rich T.
    LukeDempsey1995 likes this.

OR he just clears his mind of all thought but the music and listening closely to the accompaniment. That is pretty much what I do not matter what the venue may be... but then, I do have a simple mind.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

Forte User

Quote Originally Posted by richtom View Post
    I find this thread rather appalling.
    Who on this website actually KNOWS Allen? Anyone? I know people who do know him and he is a true virtuoso and gentleman. His "happy place" was very likely on that stage with those kids - regardless of their talent level. That is the kind of man he is.
    I'd also be willing to bet some of the posters on this website are no better than these kids are.

Kids today don't just have distractions, they have more schoolwork and more learning than anyone who went to high school before 1990. If they are in sports, other activities, and have to have a job, there is little time to practice. Back in high school (1964 -1968) we all had an extra period called "study hall". Band and choir members could come into the music department and practice. Many of us did just that.

Rich T.
    I'm with Rich.

What's the point of this thread, to point out that the band sucks?

Maybe they had a KILLER clinic with Allen and he said, "Hey, let's just read through this arrangement cold and have fun making music". Maybe they're a new or growing group. There could be a million reasons why they don't measure up to the OP's standards, but who cares.

They had the opportunity have clinic and performance time with one of the best trumpet players alive, and he had the pleasure of sharing his talent and inspiring young musicians, and getting paid for it!

Vizzutti is a teacher, clinician, trumpet virtuoso, and from all accounts a really decent human being, so I'm sure he had many positive thoughts during that performance.
    Phil986 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information