Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Trumpet Discussion Discuss What do you think of pocket trumpets in the General forums; A little off the subject...first off what model of pocket did Don Cherry play...and regarding Avante Garde Jazz...Lester Bowie, Don ...
    Mezzo Piano User
    A little off the subject...first off what model of pocket did Don Cherry play...and regarding Avante Garde Jazz...Lester Bowie, Don Cherry any one else here relate to these two??
    Bach Strad 180S37
    Monette B2

Well, if I could play like Wynton (Marsalis), I wouldn't play like Wynton.
    Chet Baker

New Friend
    NE Ohio
    When I first began my comeback I bought a Maxtone to take to work and play when I could. I work midnight shift in a large factory so finding time and space was not an issue. The intonation was not the best (G above the staff played about 25c sharp) but the tone was quite good. It played nearly as open as the B5 I played in college. The valves stuck alot at first but worked fine after having the horn cleaned. The repair tech said it had a black sticky substance in nearly all of the tubing. I sold it for twice what I had in it (repairs and all). I recently played a pocket trumpet fom a Japanese manufacturer called Shimakura, or something like that spelling. I was told that it was the same as the MINI MAX. It played quite well but I don't think I would ever use it in a ligit setting. It looks like the Kanstul and Benge pockets but WAY less $$$. Hope this helps!
    Kanstul ZKT 1503s
    Kanstul ZKF 1525 flugel (brushed laquer)
    Olds "Aida" Herald Trumpet
    Schilke B5
    Yamaha YCR 6330s Cornet
    Benge 90B(Large bore)
    Conn 34A cornet

Santa Cruz County, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavens2kadonka
    The only pocket I ever played was, in fact, a Kanstul. VERY neat horn, with those great Kanstul valves, but I that truncated bell gave the sound a quality I didnt like...

Maybe someone has a pic of a newer pocket trumpet with a regular flared bell?

I can't explain your experience, because the Kanstul has a full-size bell -- 4.75", same as the Kanstul Chicago 1000 and 1001 trumpets. Other full-size-bell pocket trumpets would include Benge (original and UMI), Shimokura, Pocket Max, and Marcinkeiwicz.

Calicchio made pocket trumpets with regular bells years back, Monette made a few "Bobcat" pocket trumpets, and Lawler has made at least one custom pocket trumpet.
    J. Notso Nieuwguyski

Lebanon, TN
    Calicchio made a pocket played in one of the 70s Olympics, if I am not mistaken...

*scratches head* Maybe I imagined it. I was so busy playing the Eclipse MR at the exhibition I played the pocket at....

Saint Paul, MN
    i think i tried either a deg or jupiter one out once and the word that came to my mind was caca. awful sound, response and tone. a nice novelty thing perhaps but ... didnt seem to me to be worth the price.
    Per aspera ad astra

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information