Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss What has helped your upper reg. the most? in the General forums; Originally Posted by JHarris Originally Posted by MUSICandCHARACTER Originally Posted by JHarris What has helped your upper reg. the most? ...
    Newburgh, Indiana

Re: What has helped your upper reg. the most?

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSICandCHARACTER
    Quote Originally Posted by JHarris
    What has helped your upper reg. the most?
    Having my wisdom teeth removed! 8)
    You ass!

THanks everyone, execpt musicandcharacter
    I was just trying to put a positive, maybe humorous spin on things. No offense was meant. (Check my other posts, I do this a lot to try to keep things light at times). Sorry if it upset you. I guess I didn't expect to get called a name for it.

Dr. Jim Fox
    Licensed Mental Health Therapist

New Friend
    I know you were kiding, i often do this aswell.

Fortissimo User
    Yee HAW!
    GROUP HUG!!!!!!!!!

Pianissimo User

What has helped your upper reg. the most?

Carmine Caruso and Jerry Callet.

Kanstul Mariachi Premier
    Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
    Pieces - Warb. 6ESV top/Black #3 BB - Warb. 6FLM

Lombard, IL

Portland, Oregon
    Lip slurs, long tones, trying to hear the notes before I play them.

A lot of times if there is a really high lick in a piece of music I'll play it on the piano a few times just to hear it.

New Friend
    What i have found is that playing it down an octive helps.

Can somebody sum up "Carmine Caruso and Jerry Callet. " i have heard mixed things about them, but have never tryed their method. Don't they have something to do with embeshure(pordon my spelling)?

Mezzo Forte User
    Dubai, UAE
    Firstly, I wish I had a high register.

But agree with CalicchioMan..Air.

Butch refers to 2 schools of trumpet playing.

Jerome Callet has a system for teaching trumpet which concentrates on forming an embouchure which includes very specific use of tongue, teeth and jaw. I'm not terribly familar with it maybe Butch or one of the other guys can fill in the blanks. Lots of his students have had terrific success playing in extreme registers.

Carmine Caruso I'm much more familiar with. He developed a teaching system based around a book he wrote called Musical Calesthenics for Brass. In a nutshell these groups of excercises are put together to train your muscles in the embouchure to be able to automatically respond to diiferent playing situations, registers, volume etc instinctively. It's not per se a high note programme (neither is the Callet really) but concentrates on building a player over a period of time.

Hope this helps.

Georgia, USA

A personal demonstration/informal lesson by Lee Adams ( in March of 2001 gave me an extra FULL OCTAVE of performance range!

I'd never heard of Callet's "Superchops" method before meeting Lee that day, though I'd played the trumpet seriously for forty years at the time. What he told me sounded so radical . . . so unbelievable . . . that if he hadn't DEMONSTRATED it to me I would have remained a non-believer.

I'd majored in music in college, served three years as an Army bandsman (1st chair in the band) and then played several years as full-time trumpeter before getting a "day job" and continuing to play a full load of jobs at night in a "semi-pro" capacity.

Leading up to my discovery of Superchops, my consistent PERFORMANCE range had been limited to the G above High C for TWENTY-FIVE years. Frankly, that was IT period!

After Lee's mini-lesson/demo, I decided to go home and "crash and burn" in order to make a conversion that did indeed seem to make sense.

MY RESULTS . . .

After the "crash and burn" period of a couple of days of not being able to even get a note out for an hour or so . . . and then being able to only play a weak, crappy sound for a couple more, I made rapid progress!!! I posted on my progress regularly in 2001 on the TH site. I seemed to be picking up a note or two every few days for WEEKS.

Within a couple of months I'd picked up an ENTIRE octave of PERFORMANCE range . . . up to the G below Triple C . . . and my tone (always my strongpoint) remained the same.

Additionally, my endurance (already good) got even better. I play a lot of lead work . . . and I'm usually the last to tire in a section!!!

RUSSELL . . .

I was so impressed with the results that I had Lee work briefly with my (then) 16-year old son Russell. He went from a very weak High C to a very mature, rich Double C within weeks! Russell is now a college freshman who turned down a scholarship from one of the Georgia colleges to be their "high note" guy. Instead, he is majoring in computers. He's very humble about his abilities, telling one in all, "If I can do this . . . ANYONE can do it!" He's right too!!!

I then sponsored a Superchops clinic with Lee, combined with a NorthernBrass Horn Fest at a local high school that drew trumpeters from as far as 500 miles away!

Counting Russell, three trumpeters from his high school attened who came away with ultra strong Double C range. One was a rising HS senior, the other two (counting Russell) were rising juniors.

The band director heard them a month later (at July band camp) and was so blown away that he rearranged the halftime show to turn those three loose! The band was so impressive, with those three high note guys, that it was invited to perform at a NCAA college championship playoff game.

A followup clinic for the 2004-2005 school year is being planned by that band director . . . for the AREA High School band students . . . featuring Lee, myself, as well as hopefully a Callet artist rep. (former Maynard screamer) Bob Odneal!

Now, almost 2 1/2 years later, I still marvel at what that chance meeting with Lee Adams did for my trumpet playing. My wife of 30+ years feels the same way!

Gosh . . . and I once thought only a few "freaks" could have a sterling upper register!!!

People can learn more about this technique from my good and faithful friend Lee Adams (owner of Callet trumpets) at his website:

I call him "Mr. Triple C" for good reasons . . . although he's as humble about things as a man can get.

Hope this is informative to folks . . .

Tom Turner

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information