Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss What have you been playing these last few days? in the General forums; So many threads out there - about horns, about all kinds of equipment, about what you've been listening... but no ...
    Vienna, Austria, Europe

What have you been playing these last few days?

So many threads out there - about horns, about all kinds of equipment, about what you've been listening... but no one is interested what we've been playing! So I'm starting this thread:

For me, it's my new trumpet ensemble (starting with a few amateur friends, and intended to be a trumpets-only group of eventually 10-12 players, with F trumpets for tenors and Bb bass trumpets... doing festive music. It's called KObrasss (yes, the spelling's correct, KO standing for the town of Korneuburg/Austria where we are based, and brasss - six letters standing for the six founder members, and the three s for the hissing of the cobra, which is our logo - look at Facebook and see us there!

And only yesterday I finished a run of fourteen performances of "The Man from La Mancha" - great stuff! Nice fanfare stuff, and enough breaks to sneak a drink in between... only had one mishap, right at the beginning, when Don Quixote attacks the windmills... his equipment arrives on stage without him, being thrown from the side; his helmet flew a bit too far and hit the timps in the pit with an almighty bang. Could have been me, sitting right next to the kettles...

Now what are your recent experiences? I want to hear all about them!
    neal085 likes this.

Edmonton, Alberta

Re: What have you been playing these last few days?

Cool thread idea.
    Recently I stepped down as director of my big band. For the past six years I was chief cook and bottle washer. I ran the website, brought the refreshments to rehearsal, kept the library, picked the rep, organized the sets, took the phone calls and emails regarding gigs, etc etc etc.
    So the band moved to a 'non-profit society' thing... and I began to let a few of the jobs go to other members. Finally I decided that I really wanted to play. (previeously I directed and played - not to much of a strech for my ADD).
    But regardless, this has been a great move for me.
    (now i get to the topic of this thread)
    Now I get to practice my parts. Actually focus on my part. I play a lot of lead, but also a few 2nds, etc. I hope that soon I could play the entire first book for a night. So without being specific - I'm practicing to play, not to direct or worry about set lists, or what to work on at the next rehearsal.
    Tune-wise I am working on a couple of Roumanis arrangements: Chattanooga Choo choo and At Last as well as September in the Rain. Also I've been practicing soloing over Cotton Tail. (btw - i just started reading the new Ellington Bio by Terry Teachout. So far so good).

I should stop typing and go practice.

Dale Chapman
    Music Director
    >Archbishop MacDonald High School
    >The Barefoot Big Band
    >Cosmopolitan Music Society Big Band

Martin Committee Deluxe (1956)
    Schlub Brass Bb rotary trumpet (Monette B6LVS1)
    Cannonball 789RL Mad Meg Bavarian Lion
    King 602 cornet
    Conn 40A 1934 cornet (Monette B5)
    Phaeton 2600 Flugelhorn (Monette FLG-2)
    Tromba Ultralight Trumpet

I have been playing the radio. Another 2 months to go before I am allowed to play trumpet. Then I have Schumanns Rheinische, a film music concert, Beethoven 7, a natural trumpet concert in historical pitch and some stuff with the zink/cornetto.
    barliman2001 and neal085 like this.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Bath, UK

I had the opportunity to rehearse 5 new jazz compositions (as a set) with the Auckland City Jazz Orchestra. I was on the dep list and they were critically short of trumpets (before any of you get the idea that I'm actually any good!). I was handed the lead folder and sight read (which for me is a big deal) the lot, which did my confidence a huge boost. Twisty-turny time signatures (changing every few bars) and interesting rhythms, but altogether great pieces which will be premiered in the next few weeks. Sorry I can't remember the guy who wrote them, but he was conducting, and who ever remembers the conductor's name, right?
    tobylou8, barliman2001 and neal085 like this.
    1992 Bach Strad Large Bore 25 Silver
    1976 LA Benge 5x Silver
    1920s?? Langen?? Rotary Bb Raw brass
    1977 Olds Super Star Flugelhorn Raw brass
    1985 Mario Corso Piccolo Trumpet A/Bb, 4 bells
    2008 Kuhnl & Hoyer Tenor Trombone

Kanstul M-B4
    Kanstul M-B4LD
    Christian Lindberg 10C

Forte User

Barliman- back in the late 90s a band I used to play in played at the Carnival in Nice. while we were there for the week there was a band from Austria that was there also. those dudes had a great time, every time one of the parades we were in would slow down or there was a break they went to the side of the road and broke out cigarettes and booze. They were some kind of marching brass band of about 15-20 members and those guys had a ball.
    formerly known as old geezer Dave
    Chicago Benge 33XX
    Blessing 1580 [ Powell modified ]
    Getzen 800s ml Cornet P02819
    Yam. 231 Fl. 15383
    King Master Cornet 295628
    assorted other horns

Heart of Dixie

Mostly been playing a bunch of junk that's someone's idea of good British brass band music. Just finished that concert, but I'm afraid the next one won't be much better. In a couple days, our Civil War brass group will host a "show and tell" rehearsal with a number of brass majors from a nearby university. We will describe and demonstrate the various period instruments, play them a few tunes, and then outfit them with period instruments and join together for a number of period pieces scored for a full band of the era. That's fun, and it is educational for the students, too, since most of them have never seen, let alone played a 150 year old horn.
    Olde Towne Brass

Brass Band of Huntsville

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

Melbourne Australia

Just played at Inverloch Jazz Festival with the Rathdowne Street Big Band (with Stumac). Had fun, but it was hot and the road stage faced the sun - so the late afternoon session was a trial. It was fun, but with so many other things on over the Moomba Long Week-end, the promoters need to work harder to get the attendance numbers up.

So great music to listen to and to sit back in a Cafe and enjoy yourself witha cold beer.
    This coming week-end the Westgate Concert Band at the Newport Sub-station.
    tjcombo likes this.

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

Norfolk, VA

I spent a couple of weeks practicing for a brass choir concert - went without a hitch last Sunday. Played a ton of C trumpet, a Ravel fanfare and a couple of other pieces I forget the names of, got to dust off my picc chops for an arrangement of Amparita Roca, and was a featured soloist in Botchinsky's Jazz Antiphony. Now just some general maintenance in the practice room until I get the music for a couple of Easter services. One big work in progress right now is getting some vocal charts together - finding my keys, learning some lyrics. A bass player friend wants my guitarist husband and I to start a jazz trio with him, and wants me to do some vocals as well. Should be a lot of fun! All this in addition to learning new marches and summer wind ensemble repertoire for the Navy....gotta stay busy to stay musically productive! Oh, and I can't forget the Monday night reading big band with the old guys - love playing with them! They have some really challenging charts, and give me lots of changes to play!
    Dave Mickley likes this.
    Adams A1, satin gold lacquer, 0.55 (and it's twin in clear lacquer)
    Adams F2, gold brass bell 0.55
    Yamaha 8335LA (Navy horn)
    Adams ACB Prologue
    Conn 112B
    NY Bach Mercury
    50's Calicchio
    Marcienkewicz Rembrandt flugel (for sale! Contact Trent Austin for details)
    Schilke P5-4
    French Besson Classic C
    Yamaha 761 Eb/D
    Weril Regium Eb/D (for sale soon)
    vintage Benge pocket trumpet
    Austin Custom Brass mouthpieces

More news to come!

Pianissimo User

I've been playing a lot of trumpet these past couple of days.

2055T King Silver Flair
    King 601
    Some random pocket trumpet that's fun to mess with

"If you have to ask what jazz, you'll never know."
    ~Louis Armstrong

"If a composer could say what he wanted to say in words, he wouldn't bother trying to say it in music."
    ~Gustav Mahler

"And those who danced were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Fortissimo User
    in exile from Germany

Quote Originally Posted by PiGuy_314 View Post
    I've been playing a lot of trumpet these past couple of days.

Would that be two of every kind?
    You can't blow it if you haven't lived it.

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    Chet Baker

Schilke B7
    Martin Committee (1956)
    Connstellation 38B (1959)
    LA Benge 3X (1970s)
    Hans Hoyer G-10 Geyer Horn

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information