Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Trumpet Discussion Discuss What have you invented? in the General forums; Originally Posted by tedh1951 Borge, my problem is that I have little idea of the voltage required for LEDs except ...
    Pianissimo User

Re: What have you invented?

Quote Originally Posted by tedh1951 View Post
    Borge, my problem is that I have little idea of the voltage required for LEDs except that they are not 3 volts and that 12 volts will be way too much -you get a low level "pop" when too much voltage is applied (it's more like 2.6 volts I think). LEDs would be the superior light source and some batteries can be very small - I suspect that the whole device could be made much smaller and much lighter if the LED conundrum can be solved - LEDs are directional so EVERYTHING can be simplified. Is there an ET out there who might offer an opinion. I would really like to develop this thing a little more.
    Hi Ted

I spoke to an engineer at work today. He told me that LEDs range from 1.6v to 2.8v. I understood him to say that if you put a limiting resistor into the circuit, you could run a battery with a voltage higher than that of the bulb. Some LEDs apparently have a limiting resistor built in.

I found this also: The Best Current Limiting Resistor Calculator for Led's

Actually, if you type "led limiting resistor" into Google, you'll find quite a lot of info.

The Wide Brown Land

Re: What have you invented?

Thanks Borge - I'll have another play, and a wander down to the local electronics store for chat I think. I need to work out the current in such a circuit it seems, and 3v might just be the go here too, providing the current falls into line.

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information