Trumpet Discussion Discuss What horn to use? in the General forums; I was just wondering what kind of trumpet would be suitable to use in a college jazz band and concert ...
    New Friend

What horn to use?

I was just wondering what kind of trumpet would be suitable to use in a college jazz band and concert band?

Mezzo Piano User
    Houston, TX
    I would say to play whatever you feel most comfortable on. If the horn you currently play on fits that description, then stick with it.
    Eclipse MHY Bell
    1949 Olds Ambassador

Listening has nothing to do with moving your mouth!

Pianissimo User
    Richmond Hill (Toronto), Ontario
    There is no one particular horn that is usually used in a college band and/or jazz ensemble.

If you are buying a horn and are just entering college, you should think about contacting the music department and talking to your future trumpet instructor to get their recommendations.

When you go to purchase a horn, take someone like your teacher with you to try the horns out as well and offer a pro opinion, even if you have to pay them for an hour of their time.

Good Luck!
    Dave M.
    Richmond Hill (Toronto), Ontario, CANADA

Kanstul WB1600
    1952 L.A. Olds Recording, 1975 L.A. Benge 3x, Yamaha 631 Flugel, Olds Flugel

GR 65.6 Mouthpieces

Albuquerque, NM
    I used my Bach LR180-37 in the Wind Symphony at UNM for several semesters and then just switched mouthpieces to play lead in the big band. Worked for awhile, but recently I started playing my C in the Wind Symphony. Plus, we get called to play nearly all of our horns. Last semester, we had a concert where we played C, Bb, Pic, and Eb, all in one concert. In one BAND concert.
    Either way, I think that most strads are pretty good all-around horns. They're not perfect for playing in both, but the do a pretty good job. I haven't really had the opportunity to try other horns while sitting in both ensembles, though, so this is just what's happened with me on the horns I've happened to own, and I've happened to play Bach Bbs and Cs for several years now. I'm sure people can tell you the same thing for different brands that they've played on.

Thread Information