• 1 Post By J. Jericho
  • 2 Post By gordonfurr1
  • 3 Post By bumblebee
  • 4 Post By TrumpetMD
  • 2 Post By fels
  • 1 Post By Dave Mickley
  • 2 Post By FireandAir
  • 1 Post By rowuk
Trumpet Discussion Discuss What I have learned about asking for things. in the General forums; I thought it would be appropriate to post this so maybe in the future if somebody makes the same mistake ...
    Banned New Friend

What I have learned about asking for things.

I thought it would be appropriate to post this so maybe in the future if somebody makes the same mistake I did, they can see this post, and learn from it. (If it is not in its appropriate discussion tab then move it).

Recently I made a post asking for someone in this community to transcribe a piece of music... And I have learned that it is very tough to do it, and asking mindlessly for others to do it is a little disrespectful. I also learned that transcribing music is something important for many players to do themselves and would help them become better players, as legend musician Clark Terry says "Imitation, Assimilation, Innovation" (Clark Terry). To imitate as I can conclude is to transcribe or learn from others. I am really sorry for making this post. I learned a valuable lesson from all of this.

Forte User

Re: What I have learned about asking for things.

Transcribing music is not always easy (in fact, it can be exasperating), but it's a great way to challenge your brain. It doesn't take long to realize the musical, mental, and emotional growth that results from this endeavor. You'll play better, your mind will be sharper, and you'll be developing patience and persistence. Not bad rewards for such hard work.
    bumblebee likes this.
    Olds Studio trumpet
    Olds Special trumpet
    Yamaha YFH-731 flugelhorn
    Dillon Bb pocket trumpet
    Selmer Bundy tenor trombone
    Casio CTK-518 keyboard
    "If it was just up to me, I'd have nothing but trumpet players on my show." - Jackie Gleason

North Carolina

While you're transcribing one, can you do one for me? I mean, you'll have momentum and all ...

Aw,'s ok.
    Pinstriper and PelicansRule like this.
    Just a barefoot, backwoods loon dancing from one dapple of sunlight to the next upon the crunchy forest floor of life. Care not a hoot for high-falutingness, just love the day, its tranquil twilight, and the reprise of treefrogs and cicadas late into the warm summer's night.

Great Southern Land

I think there's no harm in asking for something. Though it probably pays to consider carefully what that something is, if you want to avoid receiving some frank opinions about the request.

I am reminded slightly of this XKCD cartoon:

xkcd: Tasks

This is like the difference between asking for the notes for "Basin Street Blues" (try looking here: Free sheet music : Williams, Spencer - dixieland - Basin street blues (Lead sheet) -- that was easy!)
    and asking for the notes and arrangement exactly as played by James Morrison.

Kind regards,
    Dupac, gordonfurr1 and Sethoflagos like this.

Hi Chris.

There's nothing wrong with asking questions. And there's nothing wrong with an innocent mistake. We learn in both situations.

So it's all good. Thanks for sharing.

Bach Stradivarius 43* (1974), Bach 3C Mouthpiece.
    Getzen 896 Eterna Flugelhorn (1974), Curry 3FL Mouthpiece.
    Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, and Besson horns.

Pianissimo User
    Colorado Springs

Many (Many) years ago i wanted to play "bags groove" and "comin' home baby" from the herbie mann newport album. I play piano so i worked on it using the keyboard. Later i used trumpet. The melody line can be starting point. Learning the chord changes can be more difficult. Often they are usual blues changes but the +- dim and augs can be difficult to hear.

I may or may not have got it back then. But i still play both tune. Sometimes just keep it simple.
    bumblebee and gordonfurr1 like this.

Forte User

I know several players that supplement their income this way, it is hard to live off just playing until you hit the big time.
    gordonfurr1 likes this.
    formerly known as old geezer Dave
    Chicago Benge 33XX
    Blessing 1580 [ Powell modified ]
    Getzen 800s ml Cornet P02819
    Yam. 231 Fl. 15383
    King Master Cornet 295628
    assorted other horns

Fortissimo User
    in exile from Germany

Good attitude, Chris.
    You can't blow it if you haven't lived it.

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    Chet Baker

Schilke B7
    Martin Committee (1956)
    Connstellation 38B (1959)
    LA Benge 3X (1970s)
    Hans Hoyer G-10 Geyer Horn

Pianissimo User

Another big benefit of transcription is that, inevitably, you WILL make some changes to the piece, both from mistakes and just from thinking, "Hey you know, I like THIS note here instead ... " Both the music and you will grow and evolve. Some of the best performers in the world started out trying to sound like someone else, and ended up sounding like no one else.
    J. Jericho and PelicansRule like this.

Great thread! We are all in this TOGETHER. Not one single person here can save it or flush it down the toilet. It is give and take - as long as there is balance, the community as a whole prospers.

I would recommend transcribing with a pencil, eraser and sheet music paper and NOT the computer. Do it that way and you will know why the next time that you pick up the horn! tell us about that feeling and how it was playing what you wrote!
    J. Jericho likes this.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information