Trumpet Discussion Discuss What to look for in a C trumpet in the General forums; Manny, I'm going to be at the MMEA convention next week, and I plan on trying some horns while there. ...
    New Friend

What to look for in a C trumpet

I'm going to be at the MMEA convention next week, and I plan on trying some horns while there. I'm in the market for my first C trumpet. I've only played a C trumpet once, for about 20 minutes at a music store. With my limited knowlege about C trumpets, what should I look for in a good C Trumpet? I know Intonation is probibly at the top of the list, so I'll have a tuner with for sure. What other qualities are important when shopping for a C?
    Tom Henchal
    Student, University of Minnesota Morris

Utimate User

I think you should have a few very clear melodies in your head (not orchestral excerpts) that you can play without question. That's importrant because you'll have an "intonation expectation" in your mind's ear and that horn or those horns you play test will either live up to that expectation or won't. Don't play excerpts! Play "Maria" or something and see how easy it is to play. In fact, that's a good one... start on F and that should be pretty revealing.

The upper register should not be much more difficult on a C trumpet than your Bb.

Try to go someplace where there aren't twenty five trumpet jocks competing to see who can play louder and higher. You're looking for the same qualities your Bb has: richness of sound, ease of play, good intonation, ease and response of articulation, and stability of tone to mention a few qualities.

Whenever possible have someone judge your sound from a good, long distance not from 6 feet away unless you're playing to play your C trumpet in jazz clubs.

Good luck,

Pianissimo User
    Oklahoma City
    Manny's advice is excellent.

I gave up trying trumpet gear at conferences long ago. It just doens't work. BUT, if you can get to a quiet place you can manage it.

My suggestion is that you look for someone who has considerable C trumpet experience to be with you when you try horns. Your teacher or some experienced trumpet player who will be there.

i know I would be happy to help a student in this situation were I there. Don't be afraid to ask someone who has this kind of background to test some horns for you - even if you don't know them personally. The trumpet community is very close-knit and fraternal. (I mean that in a non-gender-specific way.)

Thread Information