Trumpet Discussion Discuss What Manny is playing tonight in the General forums; I just hopped over to the MO website to see what they're doing tonight. A premiere of a new oratorio ...
    Forte User
    Northern New York

What Manny is playing tonight

I just hopped over to the MO website to see what they're doing tonight.

A premiere of a new oratorio titled "To Be Certain of the Dawn". There is a study guide available.

It opens with a shofar call. It's last on the program tonight; if I can stay awake I'll try to listen.

The topic on the group playing Led Zepplin, and the discussion of art seems an odd coincidence at this moment. This piece deals directly with what could arguably be the darkest subject of the 20th century: the holocaust. In fact, the whole concert does.

*Manny- Please pass along to Burt that I was really deeply moved by the performance of the Abyss. What a sound he has; what control. Was he also alone in the performing area?
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

Forte User
    Atlanta, GA
    I raced out of my rehearsal and was able to catch the last part of the MSO concert at 22:00 EST and luckily, that is when "To Be Certain of the Dawn" began. I really enjoyed the piece - it was like theater for the ears. I also enjoyed your playing Manny. The singers were in top form as well. "You should love your neighbor as yourself". Wonderful words to end such a work.

This reminded me of the works performed this past Holocaust Remembrance Day, literally at the entrance of the Auschwitz-Birkenau where the museum is really a film of music being performed there. It is compelling nonetheless.

HOLOCAUST - A Music Memorial Film from Auschwitz

Did anyone see this when it was broadcast this year? I was floored and brought to utter tears by it. I remember staying awake to the wee hours to catch the rebroadcast on television. The music being performed on site along with the artistic cinematography was indeed a work of art. I have contemplated ordering the DVD since it is available.

The performance of "To Be Certain of the Dawn" tonight prompted my memory of this and I thought to share it with all of you. If you have an opportunity to see it, please do. Keeping with this subject, I highly recommend Steve Reich's "Different Trains". Read the booklet with the CD to understand its creation and then listen. You will be riveted. It has also been incorporated into this film.

Thread Information