Trumpet Discussion Discuss What Method(s) after brain surgery? in the General forums; Hello Folks, Here's my scenario: I'm attempting a comeback to playing after a good 3 years away from any kind ...

What Method(s) after brain surgery?

Hello Folks,

Here's my scenario:

I'm attempting a comeback to playing after a good 3 years away from any kind of serious playing. The reason? I ended up having to have brain surgery for what's known as a Chiari Malformation 2 1/2 years ago. Not to get into TOO many details but basically this means that my brain had grown in a way that was putting too much pressure on the top of my spinal column and interrupting the flow of spinal fluid. The surgery took a piece of my skull and parts of my top two vertebra out in order to make room for my brain. My doc has told me I am ok to resume all regular activity including playing.

As I have been playing a bit lately I have been getting some discomfort in the area of my surgery (back of my head) whenever I start to push the volume and/or range and am starting to think I am going to need to change some things if this is going to work. I feel like I have too much tension and I feel like too much restriction in my horn and my airflow are creating the problems.

I am seriously thinking about a more free blowing horn like a Callet Jazz might help, but I really want to figure out what methods of playing would be the best for me to explore. I have studied the Reinhart method with Scott Holbert in the past but I am wondering if other methods might be worth looking into.

Is there a specific method that is more geared toward an approach that focuses most on being relaxed and NOT overblowing?

I will probably go see Scott as some point to see what he can suggest for me.

I know this is a bit of a weird question, and I know not TOO many people will have experienced anything like this... but I know you all will have some ideas.

I REALLY look forward to getting back into playing, and I really hope that in the long run this is a good thing for me, making me find a better/ more sensible/ thought out approach than I used before.

Thanks in advance for any and ALL thoughts!!!

Scott in Maryland

The Wide Brown Land

Re: What Method(s) after brain surgery?

Scott, before you go on the Great Instrument Safari have a look at Dave Monettes website particularly with respect to his Body Centring Techniques on posture - you may solve your problem by simply moving your feet - and it is quite inexpensive. Unless of course you have N +1?

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Great Southern Land

Hi Scott,

following on the relaxation advice stuff I would suggest you look at Greg Spence's Mystery to Mastery website -- free videos and he sells a book+lessons. yamaha trumpet artist greg spence offers you trumpet books free video trumpet lessons ...

Good luck,

Bostonish & San Francisco

Alexander technique might be able to help you on your way.
    Good luck!
    Bb: Courtois 305 "Elite", Holton Al Hirt Special (~1966), Benge 3x with Upturned bell (1973)
    C: Bach C180-239 (Akwright conversion),
    Cornet: Conn Wonder (1900)
    Picc: Selmer Paris, ~1971

New Friend
    West Sussex, UK

Co-incidentally you might be on the right track with Callet, but perhaps consider his Sima or another really efficient horn in conjunction with the TCE technique which emphasises not overblowing. I think very open horns can sometimes cause some of us to create our own resistance elsewhere in the system.

San Pedro

okay.. I am just guessing here ... so take it for what it is..
    I wonder if a cornet would be better suited ... the weight is closer in so I would think that's a good thing and I also think they are easy to play...
    then their is the flugelhorn option ... while there is back pressure a decent one resonates without much effort and you really aren't going to be blasting much above the staff ... I mean you could but probably not..
    Then there is the style of music you play... how about directing your play to being a hot cool jazz soloist instead of a lazer screaming lead player
    Last edited by coolerdave; 08-08-2011 at 06:01 AM.
    If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

Thread Information