Trumpet Discussion Discuss What performance... in the General forums; ...not only inspired you but still gives you goose bumps today. What artist/ensemble? When? Where? How long ago? And favorite ...
    Fort Campbell, KY

What performance...

...not only inspired you but still gives you goose bumps today.
    What artist/ensemble?
    How long ago?
    And favorite thing about it?

Mine is Phantom Regiment's Harmonic Journey show. It was at finals in 2003. It's been 6 years and i'm still floored by the tightness of the trumpets in the lick that occured in the closer.
    King Model 601 (my favorite horn so far)
    Vincent Bach 3c and 5c
    Spirit Drum and Bugle Corps 08, 09
    Choctawhatchee Stylemarchers 07,08
    ROLL TIDE!!!

Ithaca NY

Re: What performance...

Every cut on Canadian Brass' Magic Horn, especially: Concerto in G major BVW973 (Vivaldi-Bach), and With You I'm Born Again.

New Friend
    Lincoln, NE

Funny you should mention that year for Phantom. My roommate was in the contra line that year. Have you seen the video of the contra line adding to the end of America/O Canada at MTSU that year? They got fined for adding some of their show to the number, but you can hear them over everything else. Here's the link:
    [ame=]YouTube - America O' Canada @ MTSU 2003[/ame]
    1994 Jupiter JTR-1200
    1983 Bach Strad 37 ML

Forte User
    Northern California

Herman Baumann performing Mozart horn concerti on natural horn; an old LP.

Edward Tarr performing various concerti on natural trumpets; again, an old LP.

Favorite thing about both: consummate artistry, technical and musical skills, having both cojones and ability to do the works on instruments like they were written for (no valves, no white gloves, no amplified percussion) and to do them as well as anyone has ever done them.
    Vintage Olds and Reynolds and Selmers, yes sir, yes sir, two gazoos full.

Aubertins, Bessons, Calicchios, Courtois, Wild Things, Marcinkiewicz, Ogilbee Thumpet, DeNicola Puje, Kanstuls, etc.

Cornelius, NC

My good friend just called and after watching the video of the 10 year old girl that plays "Taps" with the Orchestra that is going around, he decided to pick back up the trumpet and start over. He is now taking lessons twice monthly. His comment was, " If she could play with the objective of simply having fun and giving pleasure with her instrument as she does on the video, then I can start over and play for fun too."
    He was kinda ruined by having different teachers change embochures, tongue positions, etc., to the point of paralysis. I have always responded to his questions about playing with, " just put the darned thing up to your lips and blow "
    But some of the performances for me was:
    Maynard's band with Lynn Nicholson back in 75 playing the bridge on McAuther Park (Lynn got a standing ovation in the middle of the song for his F above Double C).
    Doc with the Columbus Symphony Orchestra in 1990 popping up from behind to a platform for his opening solo ending on a blisteringly loud High A.
    Marry the right person, this one decision will determine 90% of your happiness.

Visit www.stereointegrity for the subwoofers you need to buy.

Thread Information