Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss What student trumpet? in the General forums; Hi wendy, I think your choice is a wonderful choice. Bach is a very good brand of trumpet. Good luck ...
    Forte User
    Clarksburg, WV

Re: What student trumpet?

Hi wendy, I think your choice is a wonderful choice. Bach is a very good brand of trumpet. Good luck and remember, Its not so much what you use but how you use it. Practice your scales regularly and have fun!!!

Kalamazoo, Michigan

Jupiter trumpets have a Taiwanese origin and Bach Prelude lines are made in China, as recent threads have established. lV555 sees a lot of similarities betwee Jupiter and Barrington (which I have) . Pretty good quality instruments that happen to be marketed to the students at reasonable prices. There will always be high, middle, and low end versions of about every manufactured product and the criteria of each designation is ephermeral and different for every sensibility.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

Banned Mezzo Piano User

MFfan if I was turning 24 and someone got me a Barrington or a Jupiter or a gently used Yamaha I would be doing cart wheels and back flips!!! When I go upstairs to watch a movie alone with no kids I almost always grab my Jupiter and I practice playing softly.... I can play it easily very softly inspite of the large .460 bore. It probably helps that I have the lung capacity of a silver back ape!!!LOL Do not get me wrong I am not saying Jupiter is the best brand ont he market but they give you so much for your money that you are truly getting more then you are paying for when compared to Bach,Leblanc,Holton etc....... So the Barrington is either a copy of a Jupiter 600 or it is being made by Jupiter because they look identical right done tothe valve caps and felts! I think Barringtons I saw a place in the USA selling them for new $279 and if these do turn out to be Jupiter built horns for that price new it is a steal!!!

I was very suprised when my $50 used Jupiter arived and I played it. I never dreamed it would sound as good as it does. It is built well too because i have applied some serious torque trying to unstick the main tuneing slide and I did not damage a things. In fact I was suprised I did not break.

MFfan how would you describe the sound of the Barrington? I want to describe it as a typical general purpose trumpet sound bright and regal but not too sweet and definately not dark. In fact I would say it is on par easily maybe better sounding then a Bach Mercedes II but not quite as powerful and projecting as a older TR200. It blows easier then anything from Bach as well. The valves are really great feeling with a thin oil like Blue Juice.

I personally would go with a Yamaha student, but be cautious! It is a great student horn, so it gives you all of your timbre and you don't have to work at a tone quality yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information