Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Peter McNeill
  • 1 Post By coolerdave
  • 2 Post By tjcombo
Trumpet Discussion Discuss What tactic is this? in the General forums; No Idea on how I should name the title, but I have searched around a little. In the video ...
    Banned New Friend

What tactic is this?

No Idea on how I should name the title, but I have searched around a little.
    In the video JM makes a shaky tone on even low notes. I heard from youtube that you need to play really high notes and go from two different notes (Lip Trill) But with the low notes JM played at some parts it seemed he doesn't change notes.

Either way maybe a valid name of the tactic used or some useful tips would be great, thanks.

Melbourne Australia

Re: What tactic is this?

Mr Morrison uses many different techniques.
    The Lip trill up High at the start.
    and there is a growl low down. - at the start of the Basin Street intro, and again growl a few more times. Maybe that is what you are referring to at the Low Down notes.
    tjcombo likes this.

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

San Pedro

The most amazing part of that video to me is just how big and fat of a tone James Morrison produces .. he's outside and every note he plays is just "HERE I AM " ... that cat is something else.
    rettepnoj likes this.
    If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

Melbourne, Australia

Thanks for posting the link Chris. I just love it when JM brings his massive talents to this flavour of jazz. Can you believe it? The venue is in my home town and I didn't know about their Sunday session!
    coolerdave and ChrisDB like this.
    tj, Oz
    ...Dreaming of when I can have delusions of adequacy...

My family...

Olds Recording '73, Studio '48, Super '47, French Model 38/39, Ambassador '76, Ambassador Cornet '64
    Reynolds Contempora LB '49-ish
    Conn 22B '37, Frank Holton (early - '23?) "Patent Applied For"
    Carol Brass Legend Heavyweight
    plus various projects, whims and follies

Banned New Friend

Thanks I found what I was looking for!

Bath, UK

Essentially it sounds like a wide vibrato - say playing E just above middle C, and "bending" the note down towards D using his lips. Then doing it backwards and forwards from E to D to E to D to E, etc. rather fast.

The technique is slightly different when you get up high, but the concept is the same, bending the note down and up, except that on a high lip trill it is often possible with just the tongue doing the movement, rather than the lips. In this case the "thought" of the tongue position is AHHH - EEEEH - AHHH (but obviously very much faster than you were reading it!). The difference in actual notes between the top of the range and bottom of the range is that if you were to play C two octaves above middle C (commonly called top-C for beginner players), the Bb just below it, and the D just above it are both playable on open fingering (they are all partials, or harmonics), so if you slide up to the D, then back down to C, the note comes out cleanly when you hit the centre of each "slot", or harmonic. This is how a lip trill on a high note sounds "clean", like each note is properly played. Down low, the next harmonic above bottom C, for example, is G in the stave. There is no open-fingered note between the two, so when you lip up to G and down to C, it only "slots" on G or C. Everything in between is a bit forced. So vibrato on these low notes is a bit like a trill without using fingering to change the note.

I hope that makes sense. I confused myself just reading it back haha!
    1992 Bach Strad Large Bore 25 Silver
    1976 LA Benge 5x Silver
    1920s?? Langen?? Rotary Bb Raw brass
    1977 Olds Super Star Flugelhorn Raw brass
    1985 Mario Corso Piccolo Trumpet A/Bb, 4 bells
    2008 Kuhnl & Hoyer Tenor Trombone

Kanstul M-B4
    Kanstul M-B4LD
    Christian Lindberg 10C

Forte User

He does a flutter tongue on the low notes.
    Olds Studio trumpet
    Olds Special trumpet
    Yamaha YFH-731 flugelhorn
    Dillon Bb pocket trumpet
    Selmer Bundy tenor trombone
    Casio CTK-518 keyboard
    "If it was just up to me, I'd have nothing but trumpet players on my show." - Jackie Gleason

Thread Information