Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss What TM has done for me in the General forums; I thought it would be a cool idea if we could post what TM has done for us. This could ...
    Monroe Ct.

What TM has done for me

I thought it would be a cool idea if we could post what TM has done for us.
    This could belong in the lounge but maybe a lot of the responses will be trumpet related.

Since I came up with the idea, I'll start.

I have been posting and reading for a long time now. According to the site profile I joined 12-30-2003

A lot has happened here since then. I haven't given much to the site, A little info but I have learned a lot.

This place has given me access to famous and great players on an intimate level. I can get help with my playing for free. I was able to hang out with Manny for a long time. I got to send him clips of me playing and got free lessons. This would never have happened without TM.

I not only learned a lot about playing and our industry, I learned a lot about people. There is a huge interaction here with people from everywhere. A true open exchange of ideas.

Finally I have been writing more and my spelling is getting better.

There is really to much to put into one post. I'm sure someone else will post something and I'll think, ya, that too.

Thanks for the opportunity!

Last edited by rowuk; 12-24-2008 at 08:35 AM. Reason: changed an H into an M

Kalamazoo, Michigan

Re: What TM has done for me

This is a good idea Joe. Tis the season to give thanks for all sorts of things. Some things TM has done for me ( TH also).
    1. Seeing a wide range of viewpoints on many topics from a Global perspective which can be shared quickly, which was not the case in the "Old days".
    2.Developing an interest in researching vintage instruments, learning sources of information and building up my knowledge so I feel OK in posting on the many questions in that area and learning something new every day and recognizing there are many more qualified to share on particular subjects than I.
    3. Being amazed at the knowledge out there and freely shared by TM members in many areas I am not up to speed in, but can learn from specific information and anecdotes on many subjects.
    4. Makeing a number of new friends from all over the country and beyond.
    Having like minded folks I can related to whether pros or amateurs and not feel out of place, which is often not the case outside the cyber world.
    5. Just being able to help others by information or actual materials that relate to our different timelines of life, from the beginner to the ancient.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

Seattle, WA

TM has introduced me to a large and diverse community of trumpet players/musicians. It has challenged me to think about how I communicate about trumpet/music related topics. It has also helped me to work harder on my comeback. Of course, there's good and bad, positive and negative. However, on balance it's been mostly good and positive

1953 Mt. Vernon Strad 37 Cornet
    1966 Burbank Benge Eb/D
    1975 LA Benge 3x+
    1976 Strad 37*
    1978 LA Benge C
    1980 LA Benge 3x

Artist in Residence
    Mezzo Forte User

new york

Great post Joe!

I've certainly gained more knowledge than I've given to others and I'm thankful for it.

Piano User Bloomin Untidy Musician's Avatar

I used to think that i was physically incapable of being able to do certain things on the trumpet. I thought that we all had our limits, and that the good players were those who had that extra special something which is unachievable to most of us mere mortals. However, i have learned that our brain is truly the only thing that restricts our playing, and that my lack or self-teaching and thought has been my biggest challenge, not my slightly off center 2/3 1/3 embouchure!

Merry Christmas

The Wide Brown Land

What a great idea for a post Joe.

It's really difficult to qualify what TM has done for me. TM, or more correctly the membership of TM, has allowed me to improve every aspect of my trumpeting - almost by osmosis. That true professionals have been so generous in offering the unending flow of trumpeting gems just astounds me. For me to be able to offer a tiny bit of my life experiences and have them accepted as generously as you all have, gives me some self worth - thank you. And above all TMers have allowed me to express my very peculiar sense of humour - saving my family from the full brunt of it, once again thank you all.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Pianissimo User

I've gained a lot of information here, and I've completely changed my daily routine thanks to rowuk. The first few times I read the forums I amassed such an enourmous amount of information that I had no idea existed on the internet for free; I absolutely knew I was sticking. On top of all this, some of the more experienced members have been very kind and generous in their assistance of procuring the supplies I needed but couldn't afford for my playing.

New Friend

I'll second the boost to personal psychology and self challenge that TM can provide. After 2 years on the comeback trail I'm playing in public with musical pros, going high-C and-above before audiences, and have re-acquired the triple and double tonguing I haven't known since drum corps.

At the same time I've picked-up valuable technical advice. (Rowuk on practice routines, Solar Bell's satin bag trick in a Torpedo bag- works like a charm.)

The diversity of players, interests, and styles is remarkable. Seasoned NY pros, pensioners with vast horn collections, beginners from Austalia, and Dixieland enthusiasts from Tehran. A similar forum could've given your upright playing Edith Bunker-like aunt access to Valdimir Horowitz. O Brave New World! -Ed

TM has given me a community of fellow trumpeters to share with. It has given me a better perspective into many different areas of trumpet lore, from playing advice to instrument history and design.

Thanks Everybody!
    1974 Bach ML 37 Strad Trumpet
    1928 Buescher Bb/A Cornet
    1947 Conn 12A Coprion Cornet
    1912 Holton New Proportion "Couturier Model"

Casper, WY

It's given me an invite to the bigger trumpet world. Made some friends. Been inspired by it at times too. Given me people to become interested in and care about too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information